Smart phone key

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Ledro, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Ledro

Ledro New Member

How will the car handle switching between multiple authorized drivers, with their cell phones properly configured as "key"
    When they are both in the vicinity of the car?

So here's a scenario that I experience frequently with our current non/Teslas. My wife and kids and I go somewhere. I am the driver today. My wife also would have her phone set up to be a driver. On the way, we stop at a store for something. I go inside, everyone else stays in the car. I take my phone and tell her, "text me if you think of anything else I should buy."
    Once my phone and I leave the vicinity, does the car recognize her phone as an authored driver and leave the climate and radio active? Wouldn't it also change the seat, mirrors, etc to her saved settings?
    When I come back to the car, how does the car react to me sitting in the driver's seat? I know it's a brilliantly smart car, but will it be able to go back to all my saved settings when I get back in?
    Also, if she has locked the doors, does it automatically unlock them for me as a approach? With the other authorized driver already inside?
    I know this is minutia, but it has me pondering.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

I would imagine the car would be able to distinguish the two different smartphones & adjust settings accordingly... :cool:

3. Ledro

Ledro New Member

Although I have only ever used it accidentally, the M3 will not have an "panic button" because it has no key fob. Think anyone will miss it?

4. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

We’ll just avoid putting ourselves in ‘panic’ situations... :D

5. GrandPoobah

GrandPoobah Member

From my experience, "panic" buttons are totally useless. Because most are set off inadvertently, people simply pay no attention when one goes off. I certainly won't miss it.