Size of Fat32 flash drive for dashcam

Discussion in 'Model S' started by marlenelarkin, Sep 28, 2018.

1. marlenelarkin

marlenelarkin New Member

Does anyone know how many gig of a fat32 flash drive to store the hour of looping video coming with v9 dash cam? Although they are saying it will have limited features I had considered getting one and dreaded the install so I’m thrilled to be getting this feature.

2. marlenelarkin

marlenelarkin New Member

Saw later article minimum is 1.8 gig.

3. billprice

billprice New Member

FAT32 can only address up to 4 Gb. I hear people saying they are thrilled with the TeslaCam and are going right out and buy a 128 Gb thumb drive to use with it. Until Tesla removes the FAT32 bottleneck and goes to NTFS, 4 Gb is the max. Sure, you can buy that 128 Gb thumb drive and it will work, but you are fooling yourself if you think the folder you created on it called TeslaCam can hold more than 4 Gb.

4. Flattop

Flattop New Member

Are there not free 3rd party apps that can format the 128G flashdrive to FAT32?

5. Milan B

Milan B Member

i tried this yesterday and could not get it to work on AP1. has anyone been able to make this work on an AP1 car? thanks

6. GreatDane123

GreatDane123 New Member

Worked great for me. Seems like it makes a bunch of 30 mb video files as you drive. Each of them are approx. 2 minutes long. So you'll have to use a video editing program to get a longer scene than 2 minutes. Decent quality and good to have just in case...

7. Arth

Arth New Member

Sorry but you are wrong. 4GB is the max FILE size not the max size of a partition. Partitions can be as large as 16 TERABYTES in theory with most OS supporting 2TB partitions.

So, 128GB or larger thumb drives are Okay. And, by the way, MOST thumb drives are ALREADY formatted as FAT32 even though I always repartition and reformat them because manufacturers like to throw in lots of crapware on their drives.

To conclude:

- You can buy the largest USB drive you can find.
    - It's probably going to be FAT32 formatted already.
    - File size limitations are NOT an issue because a 4GB file could store hours of car video and you can have many such files
    - NTFS is Windows proprietary and it is A GOOD THING Tesla is not using it because the last thing you want in your car is Microsoft