S75D or S100D - opinions?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by DrBert, Oct 29, 2017.

1. DrBert

DrBert New Member

Trying to decide between the two. The larger batter is a (quite) a bit more than I planned to spend, but we're thinking of keeping the car for a decade. For now, main use will be daily commutes and day trips (with wife and 2 small dogs) on the weekends, adding more driving vacations over the next several years. If I get the smaller battery, will I be regretting it in a few years (as Teslas become more plentiful, and chargers more crowded)? Or is the 60 mile difference not that big a deal?

Any thoughts or opinions would be most appreciated.

2. Wbtesla

Wbtesla New Member

Hi - I had the same dilemna and ended up going with the 75D. With the new performance specs they are essentially the same car and only really differ range wise. For me I had to sit down and really estimate how many road trips I was going to go on and look at the supercharger network as it stands today. At the end of the day I could not justify the extra expense, for the 10 trips I would take a year x the 45 min Supercharging sessions I figured I could charge for 8 hours a year and save the 25K.

Hope this helps.

Also be sure to use a referral code if you are going to buy. If ordered before Oct 31 you’ll save $1000 and get free Supercharging! If you need a code mine is

Warren6583

Link below just remove the spaces

http ://ts. la/ warren6583

• Like Like x 1
  3. DOA

DOA New Member

Depends somewhat on your commute distance. The 75 would make my commute easily.
    But I am glad I went with the 100 because son calls and we have to head over to help out. It adds 45 miles to our day and we have no worries with the 100. The 75 would need a charge to make that extra distance safely.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DrBert

DrBert New Member

Thanks, @Wbtesla and @DOA. I decided on the 100 to expand the round-trip range, while leaving room for 15% buffers at either end of the battery charge. I rather like the idea of popping by a supercharger when I choose, rather than because I must. And the S100D has nearly the same range as my E320...

• Like Like x 1
  5. scott.simanson

scott.simanson New Member

We bought a 2014 S 60, for day-to-day stuff it was fine. For any type of road trip, it seemed that the best SC was just too far away or we had to detour to get to a SC. In 2016 we traded the 60 in and bought a 90D, made all difference for the road trips. I would spend the extra money and go with the better range having had it both ways.

Good Luck.

6. Tesla Addict

Tesla Addict Member

Congrats on choosing the 100! I personally would have went with the 75D. Here in Canada there aren't too many Teslas so the Superchargers are rarely busy - only a couple days of the years (Christmas time, Canada day, etc.) The ~100 extra km are nice but from my experience, the 75D is plenty.

Have a good one!

• Like Like x 1