S60 battery upgrade

Discussion in 'Model S' started by lTRKBLU, Apr 16, 2017.

1. lTRKBLU

lTRKBLU New Member

Have any other Model S 60 owners seen a pricing change to upgrade to the 75 range for $2,000?

60upgrade.jpg
    Am I seeing this right?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Man! If accurate, I'd say, go for it! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. gene

gene Moderator

That is amazing, if true. That's an absolute steal considering it used to be $9k, then $7k and now $2k!

• Like Like x 1
  4. krishh

krishh New Member

Just upgraded to 75 my 60D. Glad that I did not upgrade 3 months back when I bought it. Also, looking on the website there is no 60base model anymore.

5. Tom Wagner

Tom Wagner New Member

I can't upgrade my 70 purchased two years ago. It seems that Tesla is missing a great opportunity. Literally every Tesla owner wants more range, deep down you all know this. If I could get a 100Kwt battery put into my car I would do it in a heart beat and pay whatever Tesla wants to charge. On the other hand I am not about to trade in my car just to get a bigger battery. Everything else about my car except for range is just perfect. Why is the option to really UPGRADE our batteries with new bigger ones never offered. Tesla can make batteries faster than cars and without question there would be a huge market for this product.

6. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    We have a 2013 S85 and are happy with it. Though the Model S is built to have battery swap capabilities in order to earn the maximum ZEV credits, Tesla makes more money and gets more EVs out there by forcing a car upgrade path through trade-in rather than swap pack method. I know of one documented case of an actual pick upgrade from 60 to 85 back in the day...

The rest have to trade their cars in to get the bigger battery. (For physical battery upgrades.)

7. Tom Wagner

Tom Wagner New Member

8. Tom Wagner

Tom Wagner New Member

I know that this is the is the way it is now, but it is fundamentally wrong. The very nature of the EV is very long lived motors, drive train components, brakes etc. The Tesla is not a throw away item like a cell phone and other silicon valley products but a long term investment and item. The battery is what is constantly improved and will be for a long time and the battery can be swapped in less than two hours, just ask your Tesla repair shop. Most other improvements can be simply uploaded. The battery is the feature of the EV that will be in flux for many years. We should be able to buy the newest battery system and Tesla, with it's focus on sustainability, should realize this!!

9. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    If you balance short vs. long-term goals, you can understand the OTHER reason that Tesla forces folks to swap their older cars in for another rather than upgrade their cars.

Tesla's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy.

Every time an EXISTING Model S/X/Roadster owner trades in or sells their current EV and buys a replacement/upgraded Model S/X, or whatever, there is an additional Tesla on the road. The new owner for the previous owner's car gets to drive an EV and that probably replaces an ICE vehicle that was on the road. There is a better chance that older ICE vehicle will be meeting its doom and the new "previously-owned" Tesla owner gets to experience a Tesla.

If Tesla allowed us to swap out our batteries for bigger ones, this effect doesn't happen. It doesn't help that it's also a net sale to Tesla.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@Dennis said it well before I could get to it due to work obligations... ;)
    T≡SLA's goal is to sell more & more cars, not batteries, thereby gradually replacing ICE transportation. Short to medium term, the company is fully focused on getting Model ≡ to launch on time, i.e. by this July, then to ramp up production to 10,000 a week probably by 2Q18, in order to satisfy the (est.) 500k+ reservations and premised yearly demand. Then will come the semi, Model Y, the pick-up truck, a minibus, the next generation Roadster as well as regular upgrades OTA and progress to full (Level 5) self-driving... They've got their work cut out...

In the meantime, please enjoy your wonderful EV.
    Your T≡SLA aficionado from overseas who still have probably another two years waiting time for his Midnight S≡R≡NITY... ;)

11. Leafsforever

Leafsforever New Member

I just did this week in Montreal for $2800 (everything is more expensive here! but still a very good deal)

12. Leafsforever

Leafsforever New Member

since all MS is built the same I don't see why you can't replace any battery pack with another one of different capacity...

13. WVS411

WVS411 New Member

I have a late model S70D which I charge to 94% on a daily basis (less than 90% of the actual capacity of 75 kWh). So on a day to day basis there is no real difference between it an an S75D.

I want to understand the increase that would be achieved. The Shop.teslamotors.com website states that the 60D to 75D upgrade gives an extra 41 miles of range (2.733 Miles/kWh) and for the 70D to 75D the increase is 19 miles (3.8 Miles/kWh) which doesn't make sense to me. Is the battery in the 60D actual limited to slightly more than 60kWh when new?

https://shop.teslamotors.com/products/75-kwh-battery-capacity-upgrade

Has anybody gone ahead with the 5 kWh upgrade and if so what sort of increase did you get?

14. Paul Schubert

Paul Schubert New Member

Yes accurate , I just upgraded from 60 to 75 and it took 5 minutes $2125 with tax and 44 miles in range added.

15. Kevin Gallagher

Kevin Gallagher New Member

In the UK the upgrade cost on my MX from 60-75 is £7,000 - almost $10K !

16. Kevin Gallagher

Kevin Gallagher New Member

Or it was 2 weeks ago - just checked again and it is £4,500 - $6K

17. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

#17 Michael Russo, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Wow... that is odd... & scary... why would T≡SLA charge so much more in the UK as in the US? Anybody else in Europe (on the continent... ;)) can give us a € price for the upgrade?
    Edited: also asked same question to my other buddies on M3OC... :)
    -)

18. Leafsforever

Leafsforever New Member

Since Tesla let everybody used their patents, a third party I guessed will provide new batteries packs at a reasonable price someday...

19. Leafsforever

Leafsforever New Member

The deal is for the MS not the MX but when I order mine last June there was no 'X with a 60's pack it started at 75 but wait a little longer maybe they will do it for the Model X too since there is no 6o anymore.

20. Leafsforever

Leafsforever New Member

Agree