Rivian announces R1T pickup truck: $69k starting price, 400+ mile range, and 11k-lb towing capacit

Discussion in 'In the News' started by simonalvarez0987, Nov 26, 2018.

1. simonalvarez0987

simonalvarez0987 Active Member

#1 simonalvarez0987, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2018
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

US-based EV startup Rivian has come out of the shadows to announce the specs of its first vehicle - the R1T all-electric pickup truck. The R1T, which seats five passengers, is designed from the ground up to be as comfortable off the beaten path as it is on paved roads. Armed to the teeth with clever features and cutting-edge technology, Rivian’s first entry into the electric vehicle market has the potential to be a game-changer.

Rivian spent the better part of the past decade developing its first vehicles - the R1T pickup truck and the R1S SUV, which is set to be unveiled tomorrow at the LA Auto Show. Only the specs of the R1T have been unveiled so far, though in terms of performance, range, and features, the pickup truck is notably impressive. The R1T, for one, is equipped with four electric motors, each one having a power capacity of 147 kW, as well as 3,500 Nm of grounded torque per wheel. 

Three battery pack variants will be offered for the vehicle - a 180 kWh battery that is expected to give 400+ miles of range per charge, a 135 kWh option that gives 300+ miles of range per charge, and a 105 kWh variant, which will give about 230+ miles of range per charge. Rivian plans to start manufacturing the R1T’s higher-end options first, followed by the entry-level version, which starts at $69,000 within 12 months from the start of production. Production for the R1T is expected to begin in 2020. 

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Rivian R1T all-electric pickup truck. [Credit: Rivian]

Being a vehicle designed for the outdoors, the Rivian R1T has the capability to wade through up to 1 meter of water. The pickup, while comparable in size to trucks like the Ford Ranger and the Toyota Tacoma, also outguns its competition in terms of towing capacity. Thanks to its four electric motors, the R1T has a towing capacity of 11,000 pounds, a figure that is more comparable to America’s best-selling vehicle, the larger Ford F-150.

There’s also a lot of storage in the R1T, with a frunk that offers 11.7 cubic feet (330 liters) and a “gear tunnel” - a storage area that spans the width of the vehicle, - that provides an additional 12.4 cubic feet (350 liters) of space. Rivian notes that the gear tunnel would be perfect for storing items like skis, fishing rods, and golf bags. The all-electric pickup’s bed is also fitted with three 110-volt outlets with more than 400 watts available at each, as well as a compressed air source for filling in bike tires.

While the Rivian R1T is evidently designed to be a vehicle that is at home in rough terrain, the pickup truck still features some of the trademark features of premium electric vehicles. Just like Tesla’s electric cars, the R1T features impressive acceleration, with the entry-level truck hitting 60 mph in 4.9 seconds and the 185 kWh top-tier variant going from 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. Interestingly, the mid-level 135 kWh variant of the R1T is the quickest, with a 0-60 mph time of 3 seconds flat. All three versions of the vehicle have a top speed of 125 mph, similar to the Mid Range Model 3 RWD. 

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]The Rivian RT1’s spec sheet. [Credit: Rivian]

The Rivian R1T all-electric pickup truck. [Credit: Rivian]

The R1T’s futuristic approach to adventure could be seen in the design flourishes on its interior. The vehicle is equipped with a 15.6″ landscape-oriented center touchscreen, as well as a 12.3-inch display that takes the place of an instrument cluster. A 6.8-inch touchscreen is placed at the back of the center console, giving rear passengers infotainment and climate control access. The R1T’s steering wheel also features two thumb dials, just like the Model 3. Finally, the R1T is fitted with hardware that allows it to be fully self-driving in the future, thanks to a suite of cameras, lidar, radar, ultrasonic, and high-precision GPS technologies.

In a statement to The Verge, Rivian CEO and founder RJ Scaringe stated that the company is laser-focused on the adventure niche. The founder further explained that Rivian stayed largely in the shadows over the past years to ensure that its first vehicles are refined and competitive once they enter the market.

“They may have different form factors, they may be different sizes, but every single one of [our products] has to have this Patagonia-like feel of enabling adventure. We want to keep that very sharp. We want to focus only on the adventure space, so customers understand what we stand for.”

“We were quiet in stealth mode to avoid getting caught in this sort of hype cycle, and we said let’s make sure we have all the pieces lined up — the vehicle, the technology, the team, the supply chain, the manufacturing plant — before we actually talk about it. Because of that, some people have been questioning [us]. People need to see that this is very, very real,” Scaringe said.

Interested buyers could place a refundable deposit of $1,000 for the Rivian R1T here

Article: Rivian announces R1T pickup truck: $69k starting price, 400+ mile range, and 11k-lb towing capacity

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. Roy_H

Roy_H Member

I think this is a winner, finally Tesla has a worthy rival! Four independent motors, one for each wheel is a game changer for off road vehicles. This will become apparent over time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. myfree

myfree Member

Very nice, but unsuitable for Patagonia and adventure in general unless the trunk is used for a foldable solar screen and a few spare batteries.

4. Spudley

Spudley Member

Yikes. Faux range anxiety just won't go away, will it? Please tell me you spend a lot of time in Patagonia, which is why this really matters to you?

This thing has 400 miles of range. That's better than a top-of-the-range Tesla, and better than a lot of fossil-fuelled trucks it will be competing with. Sure you can load up an ICE truck with extra canisters of fuel, but if you're driving into the desert, you're probably doing so for a reason and have need for that space in the back for something other than fuel.

Bottom line is that electricity is more widely available than oil, especially in rural areas. There are very very few places in the world that are remote enough not to have electricity but you can still fill up a tank of fuel. It may take longer to refuel an EV, but that's not exactly the biggest issue you're going to face if you're going out into the wilderness. This vehicle is in fact *very* suitable to Patagonia and adventure in general.

Whether it will be a success or not remains to be seen. The number of failed automotive startups is very long, and the the number of successful ones is very short, so the odds are stacked against Rivian; I won't consider them a viable business until they're producing and selling a couple of thousand of them a month. I wish them the best of luck though; they've got a lot of seriously talented people working for them (they basically head-hunted all the top talent from McClaren), so they certainly deserve to be taken seriously.

• Like Like x 1
  5. cygnusexwon

cygnusexwon New Member

Very slick design, but hardly a pick-up truck. More like a SUV with limited exterior cargo space. Whats needed is a work truck. If it can go toe to toe with Tesla the competition will bread innovation for both companies.
    I wonder what will become of Ford if it loses its bread and butter. If they don't have something waiting in the wings this could be a death knell for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. myfree

myfree Member

Yikes, jumping to conclusions just won’t go away, will it? Please understand that the car being advertised as adventure and Patagonia ready has nothing to do with me spending time in Patagonia.
    But as a matter of fact, I did a road trip to Scandinavia (above the polar circle) and concluded (factually) that a Tesla couldn’t have done it in the same way.
    Adventure, you know, is inversely proportional to the availability of electricity.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Spudley

Spudley Member

Thanks for replying. Apologies that I sounded negative; it was intended to be more flippant than it comes across.

Interesting story about Scandinavia. Sounds like a fun adventure.

I would say though, this vehicle isn't a Tesla. Teslas are great cars, but they're cars, not off-road trucks; I wouldn't go adventuring in the arctic circle in a Tesla either. But I might consider it in a Rivian truck; It's been designed and built for this kind of work, in ways that a Tesla hasn't.

I see your point about the lack availability of electricity, and I get it. But if you're two hundred miles away from a usable electric outlet, then you're likely to be a quite a lot more than two hundred miles from a gas station. At that point, you need to carry backup supplies with you whatever fuel you're using. Yes, diesel is going to be more convenient if you need to do that, but don't write off the capability of electric.

8. Tiger

Tiger New Member

I could very well consider this car as a 7-seater SUV option. A pickup is not too useful in our corner of the world.

9. J.Taylor

J.Taylor Active Member

Good specks nice looks, and it could sell well - IF - it gets an infrastructure so it can travel on major highways.
    Rivian should see if it can become a part of the TESLA SUPERCHARGER network and contribute to this infrastructure. This is the sort of move that would make their truck into a major market contender.

10. Tiger

Tiger New Member

11. nomadd2029

nomadd2029 New Member

Wouldn't a 180kwh battery weigh about 2,000 pounds?

12. myfree

myfree Member

I certainly won't, in fact I think electric in every way.

• Like Like x 1