Repair nightmare

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Johnny, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Johnny

Johnny New Member

Hello. I bought my Tesla S P85D last year after considering a BMW M4. I've been very happy with my Tesla purchase but had an accident on Jan 7. It was towed to a Tesla authorized repair center where it remains 5 weeks later. It seems that what is delaying my car repair is the length of time it takes for parts to be delivered from Tesla. Unfortunately, as the repair goes on, more parts need to be replaced so the third order for parts went out on Feb 3. I was told by the repair shop today over a week later that the ETA for the parts is at the end of this month. Seriously taking almost a month to have parts delivered. Have to say this whole experience has been a nightmare and incredibly stressful. Would never have bought a Tesla if I knew about this.

2. Tesla Addict

Tesla Addict Member

Sorry to hear about your situation, that really puts a damper on your Tesla experience. But excluding your repair nightmare, how has your Tesla ownership experience been so far in comparison to your previous experiences?

3. Johnny

Johnny New Member

Have to say that I wasn't really satisfied with the level of service from ordering the car to taking delivery. But I'm a big fan of the actual product. Love the car, how well it is made, the performance, comfort, technology, etc. I think it's just the growing pains of a new car line. No infrastructure to support repairs. Having only 2 repair shops is limiting choice and the ability to find another one if you're not satisfied. It takes 2-3 days to order parts in for a BMW or Mercedes. 3-4 weeks is in no way acceptable. Just wondering if any other Tesla owners had similar experiences with getting their cars repaired.

4. clprenz

clprenz Member

This sadly doesn't surprise. I can say- we got a Volvo XC90 last summer and have been appalled by Volvo's service department and parts system. It often takes them 1.5 weeks just to get a part. I think that we get used to the mainstream brands vast parts and service networks and forget how hard it is to get to that point. Volvo- still larger than Tesla with lots of different models still struggles in the category. I wouldn't expect Tesla to have the same level of service until 2020+ unfortunately.

5. Johnny

Johnny New Member

I'm thinking the same thing. It'll be another 5-10 years before they have the infrastructure in place to service their vehicles to expectations.

• Like Like x 1
  6. clprenz

clprenz Member

Exactly. I think it is just something that comes with time and learnings as well. The infrastructure is just one piece. Coming from a company trying to expand 10X with footprint and boots on the ground- this is extremely difficult to hire, train, and place proper processes in place. Tesla probably will need 200 more service centers one year from now. That means thousands of new employees, hundreds of millions in infrastructure, and new global processes. Frankly, it's daunting and amazing that Tesla is where it is today.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tesla Addict

Tesla Addict Member

I understand where you're coming from; you're not the first owner I've heard say that they love the car itself, but not so much the other aspects of the company. It's good that you are aware that they're doing the best they can with what they currently have.

Just have to keep your head up... you're still technically an "early adopter" with your P85D :) It can only go up from here! As @clprenz mentioned, it'll take a while for Tesla to have a great, stable service.

All the best and I hope your situation gets better as soon as possible

• Like Like x 1
  8. Johnny

Johnny New Member

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...he-start-of-month-4-waiting-for-repair.72674/

So I decided to Google and found a bunch of forum discussions on it taking months to repair Tesla's because of parts. Sounds like my situation is far from unique. I told another Tesla owner about my ordeal and he said it made him nervous about driving his Tesla now. I may wrap mine in bubble wrap when I get it back. If I'd done my research and read these posts, I would have delayed buying a Tesla until they got this under control.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gene

gene Moderator

Though experiencing any kind of delay could be frustrating, most insurance companies will cover you for a like-kind rental while your car is displaced. How has your insurance company handled a 5-week+ turnaround time for repairs? Has Tesla been able to honor a Tesla loaner?

10. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    Like kind rental coverage is only available if you pay for it in ones insurance... I remove that coverage in our coverage because we have more cars than drivers...

As for Tesla loaners, they don't provide it for cars in body shops, etc... it's only for Tesla service centers... so I doubt that @Johnny will be provided a loaner from Tesla.

11. Johnny

Johnny New Member

Wanted to post an update. I was contacted by the repair shop and told that the parts should arrive at the end of Feb. Basically 3-4 weeks. I contacted my Tesla sales person and told him about my frustrations. He researched it and told me the parts would arrive in a couple of days. I told this to my repair shop. So the parts arrived yesterday at the Tesla center and the repair shop told me that they would pick it up today. I asked the repair shop how much longer until the repair is completed now that they have all the parts. And they basically told me in 2 weeks. I'm not a fan of this repair shop. I get the feeling that they really don't care when the work is done. They have plenty of work and I was worried that even though my parts arrived, they would not start work on my car until they could get to it. This is the problem with having limited Tesla approved repair shops. They have no competition, plenty of work so they don't have to satisfy their customers.

So I sent my second email to Tesla via their website yesterday. Surprisingly, they called me today to apologize for the time it was taking for my repair and finally offer me a Tesla loaner car. This is a much appreciated gesture although I asked my sales rep over a week ago about the possibility of a loaner or even a rental and they told me that none was available. I also found out some interesting information from the Tesla rep. He told me that parts that this repair shop ordered were not picked up for 4-5 days after they arrived on occasion. Although my repair shop told me that they ordered my last parts order on the 3rd, the order was not placed until the 8th. So basically, they have been lying to me. That this is a problem with repair shops blaming Tesla for the delay in parts when it is basically their fault for the delay. I will never take another car to this repair shop ever again and once I pick up my car, I will let them have it.

Much appreciation for Tesla for going above and beyond to help a customer. My wife was speaking to a friend the other day who was interested in buying a Model X but after hearing about my ordeal, decided against it. I think until Tesla corrects it's parts problem and the problem with limited repair centers, they need to provide loaners or at least pay for rentals when their cars need repairs that can take months.

12. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    Glad that things are progressing for you @Johnny... I agree that Tesla needs to get more repair shops certified in working with their aluminum, etc... However, they truly are going above and beyond getting you a Tesla loaner for a body shop repair. That's just not a sustainable model for Tesla to do. Considering the fact that it takes weeks to schedule a regular Service Call with a Tesla loaner. More often than not, an ICE Enterprise rental is used to backfill and that's on service done at their own service centers.

13. Tesla Addict

Tesla Addict Member

This is turning into quite the story @Johnny , be sure to keep us posted!

14. Johnny

Johnny New Member

Have to say. It was nice to be back in a Tesla today. I plan on checking with my repair shop at the end of this week on the progress with my car. On a side note, my daughter got into a wreck on Valentines Day so we would have been down to one car if not for Tesla coming through. I dropped off my Z4 at a different body shop last Thursday and although they told me that it would take 2 weeks, they called me today and told me that it should be ready at the end of the week.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    @Johnny... Perhaps it would be good for the rest of the family to be extra-careful and watch out for other cars and objects.

16. Johnny

Johnny New Member

Ha! We left for a 5 hour road trip with our only working car last week after dropping off the Z4 and passed by a multi car accident on the road and went through a fast food drive through where a couple of cars ahead of us got into a fender bender. We honestly thought we were a marked car waiting for an accident. Thankfully, we made it back safely.

17. Johnny

Johnny New Member

So the nightmare finally came to an end. My wife went by and picked up my Model S 2 days ago on March 1 after 51 days in the shop. I drove it to work yesterday and it drives like nothing happened. Except one minor glitch with the tire pressure sensor on the wheel they replaced. I'm taking it to the Tesla tomorrow and it should be an easy fix. Overall, I'm really happy with the quality of the repair. The shop did have to send it to the Tesla Service Center last week to have it checked out for a noise coming from the right rear tire they couldn't figure out which turned out to be a bearing assembly that was replaced.

One interesting thing. My service advisor at the shop first texted me that I need to return the loaner when I pick up my car. I never told him about the loaner and I told him that I will take care of the loaner with Tesla directly. Tesla was very flexible with the loaner and gave me several options. While and after picking up my car, he mentioned several times that I needed to return the loaner asap. So obviously, Tesla must have saddled the cost of the loaner with the shop. Good for them. Money obviously motivates people and I'm sure it helped to get my car back a couple days earlier. Just wish they were as motivated from the start. I wonder if Tesla relayed to the shop about all my complaints about them as well.

18. Tesla Addict

Tesla Addict Member

Glad to hear your Model S is back in your hands! Enjoy!

19. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    So, @Johnny... Once all is settled in... will you be letting us know which shop you were having problems with?

20. Johnny

Johnny New Member

Yes Dennis. There are only 3 shops in all of metro Atlanta and only 2 companies. The one I took mine to was European Collision Repair in Sandy Springs. They have another location in Fayetteville, GA. The other shop is Magnum and they are in Marietta. Several different Tesla employees have commented that Tesla owners are generally happier with Magnum. Wish they told me this when they first directed me to ECR. When I took my BMW to a different shop, they immediately sent me a survey. I don't think I'll be receiving a survey from ECR. They also don't have a presence on Yelp or their website to review them. I'm guessing they don't want any feedback.