Relocated off topic conversations

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Michael Russo, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

Ohh, I thought that the Americans did this allready for some centuries. Buying guns and shooting for nothing (to Native Americans).

2. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

"Kimble Musk is planning to open about 50 restaurants to serve nutritious meals at reasonable cost."
    If Kimble is doing Vegan and going globally I would like him to run some 50 restaurants in The Netherlands alone. Will become a regular customer at each and charge at the same time.... Although...... my wife made me a excellent VEGAN "salad"meal with almost 50 different ingredients tonight. And she is not even a Vegan nor vegetarian.

3. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    To start... I also have three PowerWall 2s on order. And there are those waiting for their solar roof as well...

4. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Can't wait to complete our move to Pau in the SW of France and get everything ready!! Sure hope something catastrophic does not happen in France tomorrow!! A bit offtopic, I'm sorry... ;)

5. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

To both Michael and Dennis,
    Scientists said that in future customers/ drivers want their car's range at least 1000 Km or maybe even 1000 miles. People will take this as a important factor to weigh their discision. And with the development of possibilities this can even mean the near future.

6. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Good day, @Mergoscia ... interested in more background and/or quotes from these scientists.
    Main reasons I find this odd, to say the least, are some obvious reasons, first of which biological :)-)) which suggest such ranges are not feasible hence not needed.

Also, all those who dispense (freely or at a cost) proactive safe driving advice will recommend short breaks on long distance travelling by car at least every two to three hours (i.e. every 200-250 kms at avg. highway speeds)...

Therefore, unless these scientists were assuming that, 'in the future', average speeds on the road would triple, again not likely, I am not tracking... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

Ohh, dear.........................would an Englishman say. I just heard it a while ago in the (British?) media. But to whom those analyzes belonged...., I don't remember.

With full self driving one can spend more hours behind the wheel. So not that many stops needed by then, anymore. For safety reasons anyway.

8. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Ok. No problem... I rest my case... ;)

9. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

#29 Mergoscia, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    An addition. With full self driving one can spend more hours behind the wheel. So not that many stops needed by then, anymore. For safety reasons anyway.
    But today as well on Dutch television on Internet a team of Uni-students had developed a car (when you can call that) powered by Hydrogen Fuel cell, which will be used at a race to be held in London next week or next month.
    The teamcaptain (I persume) spoke about the future range of 3000 km on one kg of Hydrogen.

10. Mark Schaffer

Mark Schaffer Member

Links to sources please.

11. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

OMG... How impressive... Will that be when you and I will be strolling on 10 year old man-made pathways around fascinating new metropolis on Mars, Piero?! :D Then, taking our fourth generation Model ≡ for a self-driven ride around the specially engineered forests that can live in the red planet atmosphere?... :p

I'm not holding my breath... and still await my
    Midnight S≡R≡NITY, within less than 2 years now, with great anticipation... looking forward to my natural breaks every 2 to 3 hours, smelling the roses while rejuicing on the road between SW France and wherever my retired mind desires... :)

12. Mark Schaffer

Mark Schaffer Member

Mergoscia is entertaining if nothing else. Good luck corresponding with him.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

As I said earlier, I did hear the scientists say those things in the media. And because I find the content of the tv-programm or the article far more interesting than the messenger, I forget to write down who said what in which programm. Often that's why I do not have the information about the source. For me or With me it is all about the content of the message.
    Sorry guys.

14. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

#34 Mergoscia, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    So yesterday I wanted to see the latest Dutch news NOS journaal via my laptop. Just before that latest news there was a topic about Hydrogen Fuel cell. When opening the tab page for the news I fell in the middle of that rapport. That was why I heard the things I wrote.
    "But today as well on Dutch television on Internet a team of Uni-students had developed a car (when you can call that) powered by Hydrogen Fuel cell, which will be used at a race to be held in London next week or next month.
    The teamcaptain (I persume) spoke about the future range of 3000 km on one kg of Hydrogen."

15. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@Mergoscia , thank; while maybe scientifically intriguing, I regret I still find this rather anecdotal, as none of this is likely to be commercially & economically available to the general public for a very, very long time...
    But ok, don't mean to diminish the fear of the Dutch students in any way...! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

Because you asked I allready found a link of the mentioned race. hereby.
    http://www.shell.com/energy-and-innovation/shell-ecomarathon.html . Will try to find the link to the newsreport.
    This link is in relation of what I saw and heard. Michael can you summon and translate for Mark.
    https://www.tudelft.nl/ddream/teams/eco-runner-team-delft/
    Though I will try to find the newsreport.

17. Pat Free

Pat Free New Member

Not sure what Scientists say but based on my own experience mainly on BMW 3 and then 5 series, I got used to large petrol tanks allowing to reach 800 KM = 500 Miles for std trips, but only making # 600KM = 375M range on the motorways when driving at 130KM/H up to 6 times per year for our familly vacations, where we typically drive up to 1000KM per day to get to south of Europe. Mind this is the only times where the Range really counts for Tesla long range EV buyers, but also the most difficult exercise in a car life, on which I always base by car sizing and choice... My bet is people will accept to pay more for more range until this 500Miles/800KM nirvana is reached, allowing 375M/600KM on the motorways at full speed, estimated to require 165KWH by me +/-, so you can bet there will still be a huge traction if 130KWH models can be offered, especially if they don't cost more than current 100KWH packs, fit in the same space, and don't weight too much more... thanks to battery improvements. Using 2170 modules save 13% up to 15% efficiency in weight/KWH due to chemistry, then I understood the rest to get to 30% total improvement with 2170 vs 18165 modules is on the battery module size improvement, so no weight benefit on that. Means for same weight in same totral battery size Tesla should be able to do 115KWH with 2170 cells, then 130KWH would increase the battery weight by # +13% still fitting in the same space... Which may be OK (< +100KG may be manageable on a total # 2.6Tons car). I would clearly buy 130KWH as much better than 100KWH if given the choice.

18. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

@Pat Free,
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I think there is a lot of truth in it. And knowing ever greeding people, I think in future people will want even more range.
    To others I say. I rest my case.

19. Mark Schaffer

Mark Schaffer Member

Anecdotal reports are meaningless.

20. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

I think we have different points from were we come and go, Mark. Both can be correct or do you have a different view on this.
    I still am looking to the link of the news report, but asked Michael to summon an article under a different link and translate it for you, because you won't believe my translation anyway.