Porsche's Mission E almost stacks up against Tesla's Model S in price, range and performance

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dangelomatt12, Sep 19, 2017.

1. May Grindle

May Grindle New Member

1) How many sit in the back seat? I.e. is this a 4-occupant car or a 5-occupant car? Is there a tunnel in the middle of the floor in the rear?

2) How much rear headroom is there? In their efforts to incorporate resemblance to the 911 roofline, they sacrifice rear seat headroom.

3) Is the front of the car a trunk, or is it taken up by mechanicals?

The bottom line is, this car is probably going to leave a lot to be desired in the practicality department, especially compared to the Model S. (leaving the 7-passenger rear seats option out of it!)

But this doesn't matter. Porsche's M.O. is "profits through high prices enabled by exclusivity." They don't mind if the design of the car sacrifices a lot of buyers. They don't want to sell that many cars anyway. They will engineer the car so it can be used around a racetrack, something that less than 0.1% of car drivers around the world ever do.

But we have created a world where *every* combustion car needs to be replaced by a BEV. This is why Tesla makes their cars appeal to as many people as possible, and trades racetrack usefulness for everyday practicality and massive appeal to a wide range of buyers. Their M.O. is "make the cars as cheap as they can be and appeal to as many buyers as possible."

2. May Grindle

May Grindle New Member

RE: 800V charging... 800V is not available in most urban locations. 480V is what is carried around most cities. (it gets divided down to 240V and 120V).

So even if the Porsche is chargeable off a 800V supply, there won't be many of those around. It's done purely for advertising and marketing. 400V will be the main voltage provided for charging.

3. Ludus

Ludus New Member

Styling is attractive and it’s got most of the electric performance numbers. It will sell decently well for a Porsche. It helps confirm Tesla leadership. Yep a 2020 Porsche promises to be as good as a 2017 Tesla in electric car basics. Missing however is the whole idea of Tesla cars as computers on wheels that can be software updated OTA like a rolling iPhone. If we go by company public statements, Teslas will be fully self driving by 2020. That’s a pretty decisive advantage if Porsche won’t be.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bruce Bracco

Bruce Bracco New Member

As part of the diesel settlement, VAG must spend $2bb in the US on zero emission charging infrastructure, though they have up to a decade to do so. $800mm in CA, $1.2bb the rest of the country. A Tesla supercharging station now costs ~$250K in total construction/land costs. Assuming similar costs (reasonable? I have no idea) that's 8000 800v supercharging stations. Now a decade is a long time, but that is the maximum time to complete the investment and $2bb is the minimum required investment (and a small total investment for VAG). All-in they have the resources and a legal mandate to actually create a very extensive supercharging network.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. J.Taylor

J.Taylor Active Member

I totally agree that there are the financial resources and legal requirement to create an infrastructure for electric recharging.
    However, Fossil fuel corporations have been seriously dragging their feet on going electric. The ten year window gives them an opportunity to continue this slowdown for several more years. They may change their attitude to electrics, but we do not see any current program rushing the recharge system into a usable infrastructure.
    I'm not counting on even one getting built ((where I could use it)) any time soon until I see a full recharge system program actually getting built.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jobbemann

jobbemann New Member

WTF? The porche is a sportcar, Tesla Model S is a huge sedan.
    I would rather pay twice as mouch for the Tesla with all its features, practicality and awsome company culture.