Not a complaint but just offered for comment

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by RFP, Oct 3, 2017.

1. RFP

RFP New Member

#1 RFP, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Hello folks. After reading as much as I can I remain as anxious as ever for my "3" although I will wait for AWD. I am just a trifle troubled that I/we are asked to put down a deposit and configure (too few choices) before we get to touch and feel one. Although my plan was to buy my 1st black car (I am 70 and have had countless cars from Ramblers to Sprites to Bimmers and Benzes,gas,diesel,hybrid,4,5,6,&8 cylinders but none have been black) I don't have a problem with the pricing but folks like Benz offer 5 or so "free" colors before you are asked to pay for premium colors. I also think (my background is in Supply Chain Mgt./Mfg.) not allowing early (400,000+) buyers the option of 2 additional interior colors and perhaps 1 or 2 other wood strips creates little of the perceived "Production Hell". Also, I plan to pay $1500 for the sport wheels, however, considering that my guess is at least 50% will opt for these, if no more cars were sold 800,000 wheels minimum would be manufactured and $375 each seems a bit much.
    Although I have one more "complaint" please know that I fully respect what Tesla is doing and no one is forcing me into this; I am not upset, just slightly troubled/disappointed. I feel stronger re my last issue; the radio or lack thereof. I do understand that AM presents a problem (although being 100% unqualified) I would think that some strategic shielding and filtering would allow one to receive local news/weather/traffic info. as there likely isn't music to any degree on AM. I am very disappointed that in all the time during this development cycle the "FM problem" couldn't be resolved by Tesla or it's contractors and sub contractors. Again, I have just posted this looking to see how others' feel. Ron

2. GrandPoobah

GrandPoobah Member

RFP, you've raised a number of great points that I also have "issues" with. First off, you'll probably get to touch and feel one (might not be AWD) by the time you order. It also rubs me a little that I have to pay for any color other than black (I think they mis-ordered paint for the black release candidates ... instead of 10 gallons, they ordered 10,000 gallons ... this was their solution:D). While I like the looks of the 19 inch sport wheels, I can't justify the price (and I like the uncovered aero wheel as well as prefer 18 inch size), so that one doesn't bother me much.

Now, the lack of a radio ... although that gets me too, there are streaming options for my local NPR and sports talk stations. Technology marches on. I'm dating myself, but I was pissed when they stopped offering 8-track players in cars as well. :)

3. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    TuneIn provides a great alternative to FM and AM and most stations I've wanted I've found on there. While the FM/AM radio is nice on the S, the reception quality sucks so I never use it. If I want radio, I use TuneIn.

Chances are the way things are going with the 3 that you'll get to see one in person before confirming, especially as an East coaster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. RFP

RFP New Member

Hello there and thanks for seemingly an easy solution. I scanned TuneIn's menu and it has what I am looking for. As I'm a technical lightweight; does this app download to the car's menu or must it work via the phone? Thanks again, Ron

5. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    It's built into the car. Tesla does not yet have any downloadable plug-ins or 3rd party content. It's either there or "coming soon" (a Tesla joke which means not for a long time if ever).