News from Jaguar's EV plans

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Michael Russo, May 30, 2017.

1. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Ok, here is my special report from my attending the special Jaguar promo event for the I-Pace today!

Sorry, wanted to spice this up with the 5 nice pics
    I took yet don't seem to be able to upload them...
    @gene, Help... :confused:

Just as a reminder, this is currently merely a concept car, though the Jaguar person in charge of the event claims she has seen the production version (which I kinda found strange since deliveries are not planned before end 2018... o_O).

As the above pic shows, this was a behind ropes event (though no NDA was signed and no one tried to block me from taking pics - interestingly, no one else was! ;)) yet I was able to walk around very closely and gauge the car appropriately.

It looks bigger than it actually is; length confirmed to be 4.68 m (haha: 184.25'', sounds like very close to another BEV we care about, no?!). Part of that comes from the ginormous 23'' wheels & tires the concept sat on!! (btw, production car shouldn't have those, probably max 21'') Of course, it clearly looks like a midsize SUV, therefore more of a Model Y alternative than vs. Model ≡. Yet, since the latter is announced at 184.8'', ours will not be a small car; for most of us that is good news...

You won't be surprised if I tell you I asked about cargo space... response was, production car will have 510 litres (18 ft3 !!) for the trunk only... No further comment...

The I-Pace will be AWD, based on a 90 kWh battery. Range quoted at 500 kms (311 miles) on NEDC, value on EPA cycle is not known. The Jaguar lady (if I may call her that way, she looked more like a mature Minnie Mouse... :p) 'hopes' it will be close to 400 kms (250 miles).

Since this is still a concept, I asked how different will the production car look... I was told '90 %' of WYSIWWG (what we see is what we'll get)... Seats won't be as won't be as novel looking, dashboard on the other should 'look similar'... Stay tuned would be my take on that...

Interior looks nice and roomy. Dashboard looks rather 'modern' (ok, we're not quite on Starship Enterprise... but fine...) and has two binnacles...

Other information I was able to glean:

- Reservations can already be made as of now via the Jaguar website; a dealer then contacts you and, if confirmed, you are asked to fork out €1,500. No big sweat there... As stated, deliveries are planned as of late next year
    - Production likely in the U.K. yet this is far from confirmed
    - Jaguar still need to determine their charging strategy; potentially would recommend CCS but not sure yet...

Now... final straw... Any idea about the price... Well yes...! (and I still have not recovered :confused::eek::D) So... VAT included, it should be starting at ~€80k (that would equate to just under $60k, excluding tax and at current forex of $1.1 to the €...
    Not quite the car for the masses... :rolleyes:

Anyways, I enjoyed the opportunity to see it up, close and personal... It is a decent looking car, with potential depending on final design, yet many questions remain and I would definitely not rate it as affordable... If they sell 50-100,000 per year, that would already be an enormous success...

Time will tell...

2. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Stepping up the I-Pace? ;)

3. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Warning (spoiler alert!) - article actually mentions RC production, not really sellable cars. Tweeted back to Eric noting the somewhat misleading implication in the title.
    Also, 90 minutes to charge to 80% via 50 kW 'fast' charging does not impress me so much for an €80k car... :rolleyes:

4. EV Tech Explained

EV Tech Explained New Member

5. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Indeed, this is what the Inside EV article, seemingly based on the same source Automotive News script, says too, quoting the Magna president.
    Certainly won't make it cheaper!! :rolleyes:

6. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Good luck with that... :rolleyes:

7. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Sorry if the article is in French, but the gist of it is an announced all new 100% EV Jaguar XJ limousine next year, on the back of the upcoming iPace SUV. Moving on the high end luxury segment, Jaguar seems to be definitely ahead of German luxury carmakers... Still awaiting on charging though I imagine they'll go CCS.

http://www.automobile-propre.com/breves/renaissance-electrique-jaguar-xj/

8. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Wow. Guess I did not remember that the iPace launch was soon: March 1!
    Not that I can be swayed at this price (€80-85k if I remember correctly) and with the uncertainty on ease of charging & charging infrastructure, yet the 0-80% charging @ 100 kW did catch my attention... o_O

9. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Folks, had not seen this a couple of weeks ago... Robert (Fully Charged) saw and sat in a moving i-Pace prototype around the recent LA Motor Show... and, no surprise (;)), he seemed to like it... ;)

Of course, I still feel skeptical about quoted prices which, although lower than those of Model X, still concern a significantly lower SUV... On the other hand, it’s coming soon, quite a bit sooner than the future Y... Kudo to Jag for probably proposing the most intriguing EV besides T≡SLA soonest.

10. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Don’t let the title fool you... the full article reveals a quite different picture as to Jaguar’s current intent when it comes to funding charging infrastructure worldwide a la T≡SLA... and that will be a limiting factor to their growth...

11. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

i-Pace EU prices:
    - starts at €78.4k (need to check when available)
    - fully loaded First Edition (for impatient - and wealthy... - folks... ;)): 102.6k

Wow. :eek:

12. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

For completion, if you’ve got an hour to shoot, you can access the full Jaguar i-Pace reveal on YouTube, via the M3OC Twitter feed.

Note (from about 15’:00 thru 19’:00 into the video) the 0-60 mph races, which illustrate which T≡SLA car Jaguar is targeting! ;)

13. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

i-Pace stuff, probably more than your fill... ;)

14. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

The above was France. Belgium with slightly higher VAT is almost 79k. Interestingly base has a lot of good equipment already, you could probably have a great car for about 5 grand more, which at this level is nothing. Also, local dealer confirmed you can order base now (not just First Edition) and get the car in July (as production started in Austria, believe @ Magna Steyr...).

And in the US: