New T≡SLA solar roofs about be launched!

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Michael Russo, May 10, 2017.

1. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Here is your chance to make your roof serve a great purpose... and look

2. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Elon was prompt to emphasize one of the key elements of the value proposition... :)

Now with a comparison with traditional roof tiles... :eek:

3. OttogiCurry

OttogiCurry New Member

I was scheduled for install with Solar City, but canceled when I saw the tile demo.. I was determined to wait it out. The problem I have now is I wanted the slate ones~ Do I wait or go with the textured? Or just let the upcoming hail storms decide for me?

4. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

See my post above... The hail storms might indeed play a role in how this plays out... ;)

5. OttogiCurry

OttogiCurry New Member

Seeing the hail that hit around Dallas recently I'm not convinced that test was severe enough lol. I sent them a message asking for clarification on the warranty in regards to the hail. Are they claiming hail abuse is something it will hold up to? If so, then I can drop my hail coverage and save some extra money there too. Pretty exciting stuff!

• Like Like x 2
  6. cotter77

cotter77 New Member

yeah, dying to get my solar roof...but WOW this pricing is way off!!!
    It defaults my monthly electric bill to $242/mo when my running 24 month average is $140...this makes personalized calculations quite deceiving!
    Its not a windfall of "cheaper or equal priced roof" with free energy as icing on the cake

7. gene

gene Moderator

Interesting. Can you tell why there's such a large disparity between their calculator's estimate and your actual? I think this is pretty important to note.

8. cotter77

cotter77 New Member

Idk...
    Maybe they assume peak high user in Cali style with crazy Enron power rates . We have nat gas stove, fireplaces and water and laundry. Maybe they don't assume any of that in their calculator.
    I live in an old historic 2.5 story home 4500 sq feet with gabled roofs with a family of 4 in the northeast. I am not even that careful when it comes to watching my usage. Though I do put it LED lights whenever I need new fixture or bulbs.
    But even if I got model s and charged at home 24/7 (which I would because there is only one supercharger in region and it's out of the way) I don't think I am even close to seeing reasonable pricing on the solar roof even with current energy tax credits AND 20% state credit for historic home preservation. It's pretty sad. I just got traditional roof quote for $18,500
    I really don't understand all this hype about how the pricing came in less than expected. As far as I can tell I'd still be far better off putting that new 18,500 roof on with standard old solar panels that going the new roof.

9. OttogiCurry

OttogiCurry New Member

It's not intended to compete with asphalt shingle + solar panel... It's expected to compete with high end tile roofs. If you're solely in it for the savings, standard panels are still the way to go, and to my knowledge, they will continue to push standard panels as well.

Elon was misquoted frequently that he said the solar tile will be cheaper than a normal roof. He said it'd be cheaper than a tile roof, which are fairly ridiculously priced.

Also, I have the same issue where they assume electric heating, but I have nat gas as well. All in all this roof would take about 35 years to pay for itself on my house.. But another way to look at it, is I could upgrade my shingle roof to a sexy slate tile roof (when slate comes out) for 20 years for about $6k. If it can really stand up to the hail around here, that's well worth it.

10. cotter77

cotter77 New Member

I can't relate.
    In an old historic home, one doesn't just change the roof style on a whim.
    But who the heck builds with or re-reroofs with tile? Thats absurd, or worse yet, who does so with a motivation to make it look like an old asphalt shingle. It doesnt make sense. The whole purpose of making it look like old shingles is so that it could eventually replace a ton of shingles. If it costs more than a new replacement shingle roof roof+panels then why bother making it look like shingles?

I am hoping to still go through a quote with them but thus far (and I highly suspected this would happen based on his presentations on the matter) I am expecting it to not even come close to being worth my while. I am hoping they will see that and maybe provide some negotiations.