New cream interior

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Smiesguy, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Smiesguy

Smiesguy New Member

Decided to pull the trigger on the S vs the 3 and leaning towards the new cream interior. Any real world pic? Also thoughts on pairing with the carbon fiber trim?

2. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    I haven't seen one and I think the tan (what I have on my S) is my favorite. Definitely do not want white and would really prefer not to have black. So tan or cream it is.

The CF trim was always extra and I didn't like the looks. Love the wood trim in mine (which they dont offer any more, but the figured ash is nice).

One thing they also don't offer any more is a tan/cream seat with dark headliner. The headliner (visors etc) picks up fingerprints which are hard to clean. It seems if you get cream seats you get a light headliner now too but oddly with white you get the black headliner.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

All these things are likely to continue to evolve over time as we've seen with the S...

4. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    The S has gone the other route, less options over time as they improve the manufacturability.

5. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Couple of things.

T≡SLA remains probably fhe only car manufacturer today that keeps improving commercialized cars on the road over the air, which benefits existing drivers.

As for Model S offerings over time for future owners, it keeps evolving in different ways. I do not remember many things taken away completely besides perforated leather seats (yet my memory may be failing me... ;)). Mostly, prospective buyers do see less options because they are integrated in packages, like for Model 3. In addition, expectations are for a refresh of (at least) the interior of Model S in the not too distant times...

Those were my thoughts when I mentioned 'evolution'... :)

6. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    While Tesla does put out updates over the air, and they're a great feature and benefit, the updates in the early years were much more substantial than they are today. My 2014 Model S hasn't really seen anything new of value in quite a while. Most of the updates for the last year or more are around Model X and Autopilot and are mostly fixing things that should have worked (FWD) or are promises they made (AP). Over the next year, they'll be Model 3 and AP2.5 focused. Software updates are cool, but some of them are a step back from what you had before in stability etc. Tesla is iterating fast and moving quickly for a small company but they put out stuff before it's done (AP2 for example) and they don't do good testing in many of the software areas (the hardware is another story). Many of these over the air software updates are to finish things that were incomplete or poorly tested. The other vendors with their slow pace and model do software updates too but they're in the service center and usually bug fixes you don't see and needed less often.

All manufacturers add new features over time, they do it more along the traditional model year lines which has it's pros and cons. The Tesla forums are full of upset people who just ordered their S or X and found they missed the window of some new thing Tesla added. Overall, I think the Tesla approach is better as they're iterating and improving the car faster, but it does leave some people a bit upset. I always advise people to buy based on what they see not based on anything that may come out over a software update or new feature (FSD) in the future.

The cooling in the seats went away with the perforated seats. You used to be able to open your windows in the S with your Key fob and they removed that feature while you can do that in many standard cars like my old MDX. The Tesla App used to let you open your sunroof, now you can only vent it (but the API and third party apps can still open it all the way). For some, the open space in the S (before the front console) was a plus that was taken away. Several colors (Titanium, Dolphin Grey) were removed. Certain interior color combinations were eliminated, etc. I assume all these have been for manufacturability, volume, and safety reasons and make sense.

Some of their bundling doesn't make sense at times (they seem to go around in circles on this one). While they've included a lot more in the base package of the S, this current premium package makes little sense:
    Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 10.54.24 AM.jpg
    I live in New England, and I'd really want the Sub-zero package. But $5K for what comes standard on most cars in that area is unreasonable. I could care less about the other items in that package. The heated rear seats are also fairly common -- my 2007 Acura MDX had them too.

Anyway, love the car and the company, but there's always room for improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rasadorian

rasadorian New Member

I am picking up my S with cream interior and CF trim on Monday...will post some pics.

8. bwalker000

bwalker000 New Member

Attached are some photos of my new Model S. Delivered yesterday. Tan interior with Carbon Fiber Trim and Blue Paint.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  9. peter77

peter77 New Member

This is the colour I wanted on interior don't mind cream put they have discontinued the black surround and carpets. having cream through out Madness. What gets dirty first ?

10. rasadorian

rasadorian New Member

Just picked up the Tesla today and live the cream colored seats and carbon fiber...goes together well and so much better than the old tan color seats. I like the cream colored floor mats BUT these will get dirty way too quickly. Attached a pic

Attached Files:

11. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Congrats on your new car! Looking great...!!

Yet, you are right about cream mats so trust you're considering to cover them with proper, darker colored aftermarket ones...

Enjoy!!

12. peter77

peter77 New Member

Agreed that the cream looks great apart from the cream mats.

I haven't ordered the carbon fibre just wondering if the central armrest will come in the cream or black ?

13. rasadorian

rasadorian New Member

The armrest is also cream...it all works together very well. I'll take some more pics and post them later.

14. peter77

peter77 New Member

What size bat did you order?

15. rasadorian

rasadorian New Member

More pics of the cream interior

Attached Files:

16. Stuca

Stuca New Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Welcome, @Stuca , hope you have not been too affected by Harvey!

Congrats and good luck with the new car... make sure you keep it clean to keep it cream... ;)

18. DrBert

DrBert New Member

Just how often would it need a cleaning?

I've been leaning towards a cream interior as well. The white is just too stark, and the black seems too hot in summer. (You could bake bread inside my current triple black E-class in summertime.) But, I'm not too keen on having to scrub the interior every weekend.

Cheers, --Bert

19. rasadorian

rasadorian New Member

I’ve had my silver tesla with cream interior for a couple months now and have had zero problem keeping it clean. The cream is a great color in my opinion...the white was definitely too stark for me as well. Surprisingly, even the cream mats have stayed clean...and my this is with a 9 yr old and 14 yr old.

20. Stuca

Stuca New Member

I guess to answer properly, first you need to understand what type of use is my car experiencing. I'm commuting to the office every day, eventual use during weekend with my family. Two small kids.
    With all this is just perfect...I just vacuumed it twice in 6 weeks. That's it.

Let me know if needing pictures....