My 3 Months journey with Model X - Is Tesla a Premium car?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Srinivasa Nandigam, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Srinivasa Nandigam

Srinivasa Nandigam New Member

I bought Tesla Model X in Dec2016. Here is my journey with Tesla for first 2/3 months. Here is my experience…

Sales:
    Pros:
    · Front office person is very friendly and informative at Dublin , CA location
    · Test ride is awesome!
    · Nice office space!
    · Easy to search for inventory and select features from site/app.​
    Cons:
    · My commute is around 130miles a day, sales person said that 75D suffice my need. But in practical it is not.
    · I assumed 237 mile range is practical range not ideal situation range. Any other Gas car, they mention their measure in practical scenario Ex: 22MPG Hwy/ 18MPG local (I could have gone for 90D)
    · Sales person did not mentioned about keeping battery at 90% for optimal life, so I end up having 210 miles only on battery.
    · They said autopilot will release in 2 weeks, by beginning of Jan2017. Did not mention about incremental rollouts of software.
    · Did not gave enough information on charging options and cost
    · Once I paid initial amount and reserved vehicle, no proper response/follow up from sales team​

Delivery:
    Pros
    :
    · Factory tour is good
    · Document filling process is easy​
    Cons:
    · Delivery date postponed 3 times and ruined my holiday plans
    · Sessions/Presentations on Delivery Day are focused on trivial features, not much information on features which is not easy to find/explore by my self.
    · Windshield liquid is not filled – I took delivery on rainy day, as soon as I took that car I needed windshield fluid to clean windshield. I had to stop car at gas station and wipe glass with cloth.
    · Delivery person not explained features or some tricky things. (where is sunshade kept and how to fix it, what are there in front trunk etc..)
    · They mentioned that autopilot software will update in a day but did not mention about incremental rollout.
    · I specifically chose Fremont delivery to have a factory tour, no one mentioned that day I am taking delivery is Holiday for factory.​

Post-Delivery:
    Pros:
    · Car is smooth and awesome driving experience!
    · Absolute smooth (in Manual mode) drive and excellent balance!
    Cons:
    · After couple of days, driver side door is not opening some times
    · After firmware update, automatic Garage opening is working intermittently
    · Door sensors are not much efficient, falcon wing tried to open by pushing person standing beside the door
    · With 210 miles charging I could drive only 140 to 150 with regular traffic in BayArea
    · License plate came late ( they went to Tesla and then came to me), so getting carpool lane stickers took 2 months.
    · Some times , Braking or acceleration is not smooth and more abrupt.
    · In Traffic Aware Cruise Control, if a car merges into our lane before our car, it recognizes late and had to take control.
    · Recent Software upgrade for ‘Parallel park’ also not so effective as it is in other Premium Gas cars​

Service:
    Pros
    :
    · Service Center inspected vehicle on the fly with out appointment
    · They tried to fix ‘door not opening’ issue immediately
    · Engineers/Technicians are very friendly​
    Cons:
    · Door issue fixed but couple more issue with the same door introduced –automatic opening is not working and noise from door
    · They schedule next appointment after a month for those issues
    · On the day of service, got ford as loaner vehicle instead of another Tesla. They said Tesla is not available for the moment ( Is Tesla equal to ford ???)
    · No update or estimate on when they are going to give my Tesla back
    · It took one week for Service Center to fix door issue and other minor issues
    · No proper estimate during the week as well.
    · Finally, I got the vehicle back with out the issue fixed -‘Door not Opening automatic with Key fob’.
    · No proper explanation about fixes/problems during handover vehicle back​

Overall, Tesla might have premium car features (I did not get all of them yet!!) but my experience with Sales, Delivery and Service, are not at all up to the standards of Premium car.

2. Tesla Addict

Tesla Addict Member

Seems like the cons outweigh the pros... Sorry to hear that your experience with sales, delivery, and service, weren't all that great.

Hopefully they improve very quickly!

3. Zack

Zack New Member

I'm sure you're not alone. I also had problems after taking delivery of my 75D model X my third row seat came with out a seat belt buckle which I noticed after trying to buckle in my 4 year old daughter, I was stunt and my wife was furious. Complained about it immediately to my DS with other minor problems like FWD noise and a few others, my DS was nice enough to offer us free all weather tesla mats which I accepted, but only after my wife said her peace. An appointment for service was issue with in 2 days and I also like you didn't get a tesla loaner, settled for an Infiniti... which wasnt the worse. But again just like you no update when the car would be ready which really sucked cuz I barely drove the car since I noticed the problem as soon as I took delivery. Just wanted to share a couple of things about my tesla journey, but won't knock tesla any further since I love the car. But they should def take more time building them even if we have to wait a little longer for delivery.

4. Fred Clarkson

Fred Clarkson New Member

My Pearl Model X P100D was perfect right from the start. I have no issues with sales, delivery, or any of the options, FWD, frunk, trunk, seat-belts, etc. Enjoying the ride immensely. With 55,000 cars delivered there are always going to be some issues, but I believe that they are no greater than what is found in ICE vehicles. AND there are always going to be complainers and ICE "shills" who would like you to believe that they are in the majority. IMHO, of course...