Musk reveals plans for The Boring Company: Teslas transported on electric skates

Discussion in 'The Boring Company' started by gene, Apr 28, 2017.

1. gene

gene Moderator

#1 gene, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elon Musk’s The Boring Company has published its first video which reveals the company’s plans to reinvent the subterranean transportation system through electric skates akin to electric slot cars. Speaking at today’s TED conference in Vancouver, Musk presented a video simulation that shows several Model S and Model X being lowered into underground tunnel systems and transported at 130 MPH (200 km/h) between destinations.

“You should be able to go from say Westwood to LAX in 5-6 minutes,” said Musk while speaking at TED. The video provides a futuristic look at what the serial tech entrepreneur envisions as the means to avoid traffic.

However, as with most of Musk’s plans, the grandiose industry disrupting vision is often fraught with resistance, especially from risk averse government agencies and long-standing companies and organizations that have built an entire industry around arguably antiquated but proven methodologies.

At stake is the amount of capital needed to execute on building a network of tunnels. Musk drew reference to Los Angeles’s seemingly endless project to build a 2.5-mile subway system which cost $2.5 billion, and another $140 billion in planned transportation projects by the county’s transit authority over the next 40 years.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Still, that won’t stop Musk and The Boring Company from taking on the challenge to reinvent conventional tunneling. First sightings of the company’s underground tunneling machine took place yesterday in front of SpaceX.

Check out the awe-inspiring video published by The Boring Company.

Article: Musk reveals plans for The Boring Company: Teslas transported on electric skates

2. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    I surmise that the Boring Company is not boring at all... :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jim Whitehead

Jim Whitehead New Member

Musk is brilliantly doing several things at once: 1. Tunnels will probably require you to have an electric car to use them, since its dangerous to have fumes from gas-guzzlers trapped inside tunnels. 2. After Musk demonstrates his run to the airport, the brain-dead CA politicians will junk their wasteful rail system for a faster and cheaper one. 3. Musk learns boring machines, which can be needed by the very first robot-only missions to Mars. The robots can mine for raw materials for 2 years and use the created tunnels to set up greenhouse farms and underground structures.. (Musk said he plans missions every 26 months when Earth and Mars align).

• Like Like x 1
  4. tcasey001

tcasey001 New Member

The Boring CO is def for use on Mars...use,learn and paid by creating services like tunnels in LA and then use then on MARS and living on the service will be off limits a lot of the time..Elon,Brilliant as ever.

5. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

I don't understand Elon Musk. At one hand he wants to save the planet; at the other hand he has ideas which only can be realised by the very most poluting materials. The tunnels he envisage can only be made by concrete. In production one of the most poluting materials ever! And he needs lots of it in his plans. So he throws the whole clean and green plan into the closet, cause the production of concrete delivers way more polution than gained by everybody in the whole world driving on Solar energy powered EV's.

6. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Wow, really? How did you assess this comparison factually (carbon footprint? Energy required?) Wouldn't that depend on the amount of tunnels he ends up building - not saying you're wrong, Pietro, just wondering about the underlying data behind your assertion... o_O

7. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

#7 Mergoscia, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Of course it is all about the amount of tunnels / tunneling. I don't think Elon stops at LA or Los Angelos building tunnels. If you take a look at the amount of tunnels in the video The Boring Company | tunnels you can see a whole network of tunnels under a part of a city; those need a lot of entrances and exits as well.
    You may count:
    For one m3 concrete ( the substance alone) is needed:
    How much cement, sand and stones you need for 1 m³ finished low quality (household-)concrete?

proportions 1-2-3 concrete
    Cement 325 kg
    Sand 660 kg
    Stones 1300 kg
    Water 160 kg/litres
    As said this is for the substance only. For high quality concrete the proportions are different. Mainly the quantity of water.

Next to this you need, as I understood, of a British programm called Grand Designs 8 times additional more water, lots of electricity, lots of fuel for, transporting and preparation. The factories which make and prepare concrete (parts) need heavy machinery often. And then the water has to be cleaned / filtered again before it can come back into nature.
    That sum of that total makes concrete a very poluting product, if not the most poluting product. Imagine 9 times 160 litres of water= 1440 liters for one m3 concrete. Again this is a rough calculation for low quality household concrete. Unfortunately in Dutch see: http://www.cementenbeton.nl/materia...-ik-zelf-beton-maken-voor-eenvoudig-betonwerk.

The amount of concrete needed for the building of a network of tunnels like in the video you may calculate yourself or somebody (a engineer) who watches this thread can do that.

I didn't even mention the amount of CO2 which comes from the production of cement.
    Worldwide the production of cement/ concrete delivers an emission of 5 billion. That is 5 % of the worldwide CO2 emissions. See (unfortunately again in Dutch http://www.esencio.nl/blog/de-donkere-kant-van-beton/ .
    Another negative sides of cement / concrete is it delivers radon ( a radio active gas). Can cause hereditary diseases and cancer.

See English language sites
    - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact_of_concrete
    - https://www.quora.com/What-makes-the-cement-industry-very-polluting
    - http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2012/05/09/emissions-from-the-cement-industry/

Do I need to say more??????? Why Elon, oh why do you want to use concrete???????

There is even more........ What will happen to the people in the tunnels when earthquakes come?

8. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Ok, thanks. Surely this is a lot of concrete. Got the point. Yet how do we now compare this environmental impact to the total carbon footprint (in your words, the 'pollution') from all the 'fossil' cars, light and heavy trucks around the world that would ultimately go the way of EV...? :confused:
    Besides, not sure this is even worth comparing. In the end it is not a choice. Replacing ICE cars/trucks by EVs makes a world of sense and Elon is actively driving that rEVolution. The whole tunnel idea serves a different purpose and may or may not be pursued in a big way beyond California... even if it is, I guess we'll just have to pay the environmental price of the concrete required unless there is a 'greener' way to do it, which of course is not clear to us today...

9. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

Michael, Hold your horses, ha, ha. I still am not finished with my answer to you. Put this post off topic

10. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

No need... we're still following a lead here... I'm on the edge of my seat... :p

11. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

I just tweeted to Elon Musk,

Cement means CO2 and radon, so tunnels mean Co2, cancer and hereditary diseases.