Model X / young kids

Discussion in 'Model X' started by spurswin99, Oct 9, 2017.

1. spurswin99

spurswin99 New Member

Hello - first post and new to the community. I apologize in advance if this post violates any forum rules or contains duplicate questions - I couldn't find the answers elsewhere and thought some people here might know.

My wife and I are planning on purchasing a Model X this year. Our primary concern is safety, and we have been impressed with all of the features and reviews about the Model X on that score. We have one 2 year old and may have one more child in the next couple years (almost certainly never more than that!). We are planning on the 7 seater. I know that is often disfavored, with many preferring the 6, but our thinking is that we would almost always use the 7 seater like a 5 seater (i.e., with the third row down) and only use the 3rd row on rare occasions when we might need to transport others.

With that in mind, some questions:

1) Given my use case above, do most agree that the 7-seater would make sense for us?
    2) Does anyone have experience with child seats in the Tesla? While we only one have child, we would keep the car seat in the middle of the 2nd row, rear facing for at least another year. If we have a second child, we would ideally keep the youngest one rear facing in the middle with the older one front facing on one of the side seats. Would that set up work well? Any suggestions in my thinking?
    3) Is the multi-pattern black interior OK with kids and spills? Or might it stain/damage too easily and thus the faux leather would be worth the $3300 upgrade?
    4) Any other tips that Model X owners with small children have?

Thanks for the help! I look forward to being part of the Model X community!

• Like Like x 1
  2. gene

gene Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

Having first-hand experience on this, I hope to add some color on the pros and cons of having a Model X as a family hauler.

1) A 7-seater only makes sense IMO if you intend to have third-row passengers that are either small children or smaller-framed adults that don't mind feeling cramped. And the third-row is certainly not an area that anyone I know would want to ride in for an extended period of time. There isn't much leg room at all especially if the second-row seats are being occupied.

2) Front-facing child seats, no problem (in the 2nd row). It's worth noting that the latches are on outer-most seats. I don't recall seeing latches in the middle seat of the 2nd row. For young children that need to ride in a rear-facing seat, the car seat will fit - again, in the 2nd row - but it presents a bit of a logistical problem if you plan on also taking passengers in the 2nd row and 3rd row. A rear-facing child seat will not be able to incline nor provide enough space for people to "climb over" when accessing the middle seat. You learn to load children from 1 Falcon Wing door while using the other to load passengers.

3) Unfortunately we don't have any experience with the multi-pattern black interior, but I could tell you that the white interior does stain, but easily cleanable.

4) If we had to do it all over again, we would probably have done with the 6-seater as that would maybe give us use of the 3rd row which to date has been used less than a dozen times in the last 20 months (we had the first Model Xs) .

I recommend checking out the @Like Tesla "Like Tesla" YouTube channel which documents family life with 2 young children in a Model X.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  3. nigel hummelman

nigel hummelman New Member

Diesels are the way to go. IF IT DON'T SMOKE BLACK BRING IT BACK. Lithium ion plants ( Lithium ion is the acid in the battery) spell destruction. One plant is worse that every vehicle created, look it up.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. gene

gene Moderator

You are hilarious. Why?

• Agree Agree x 1