Model S intermittent vibration and noise?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by BruceW, Apr 5, 2017.

1. BruceW

BruceW New Member

Picked up my Model S100D on March 31 2017. The next morning on my first drive of the day, I heard a noise and felt a vibration in the front end like I was going over those small rumble strips that they put down to slow drivers down, but the road was/is smooth. It lasted about 5-6 seconds, and reoccurred again shortly thereafter for a couple of seconds, but never happened again the rest of the day. Basically the same pattern has occurred each morning, and, with one exception does not occur again during the day. The one exception was on highway at about 65 mph, and was not as loud or pronounced as in the mornings; that one might have been the road, but it was very similar to the other occurrences.

Called service, and they want me to bring the car in, which I will do. But since I can't reproduce the problem at will, I fear they will have a hard time trouble shooting it. Anyone have a similar problem? Ideas?

2. Frederick T Crosby

Frederick T Crosby New Member

Yes, and it continues today. I took delivery of my 2016 S90D in November '16. Right away I noticed the 'rumble' and drove it for a week before returning to the dealer to see if the issue would go away. It's still evident at 60-65 and resembles the Lane Change Assist vibration.

The tech was not able to determine what the problem was. He re-torqued the wheel lugs and made sure the tire pressure was set correctly.

I'm still waiting to hear from others about what they've experienced. I now have 3500 miles on the car and everything else is fine.

3. BruceW

BruceW New Member

Problem solved. It is the "lane departure warning" feature that was turned on. I turned that warning off, and the problem went away. Service folks told me that they have been receiving a lot of calls about it. Making a warning feel/sound like something is wrong with the steering is probably not the best way to let people know what it is trying to tell them.

4. Leafsforever

Leafsforever New Member

Right on Bruce. I was having the same problem but when I saw your post yesterday I do what you said and it work. Thankfully because I was having a reservation for wheels balancing this tuesday! thinking that it was the problem!