Model 3 - Other Costs

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by david flores, Jun 8, 2017.

1. david flores

david flores New Member

I am placing my order for a model 3, I am guessing it will come with charging cables like the model S and X, do these work well, or will I need to purchase the home charging station and increase home voltage. I average about 60-70 miles each day during the week, but on weekends I may use 100-120 miles, so I'm guessing with the 75kw battery I will use about 1/3 to 2/3 each day.

Also are there other items which should be purchased?

2. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    If the Model 3 come with the same charging cables as a Model S or Model X, it would most likely be the Mobile Connector which has a connection for 240V NEMA 14-50 which will charge a Model S at 29 miles per hour at 40A. So, if you drive 60-70 miles each day, you're full in 2-3 hours and in the weekend within 6 hours of charging (usually when you're asleep.)

I used a NEMA 14-50 every day for a few years with a connection that I had at the office. Now, I use a hardwired J1772 at 30A that I used to use with another EV.

3. david flores

david flores New Member

Thanks this was helpful. Based on this I think I'm good just keeping the mobile connection for the short term.

4. ThosEM

ThosEM Member

Home Page:
    Agree with the advice above. You might also want to consider a CHAdeMO adapter that may be available also for the Model 3. This increases the number of DC quick charging options substantially. I have one but have not had a critical use for it yet, as there have always been enough superchargers to keep me going. Still it alleviates range anxiety to have additional quick charging options.

5. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    It all depends on which model of the mobile connector the Model 3 ends up with.

The Model S ones are akin to the second release of the Roadster Mobile Connector. It allowed interchangeable ends to plug the mobile connector into a variety of differing outlets for support of a wide range of voltage/amps... The original mobile connector for the Roadster only had the NEMA 14-50 on it and ran at 30A.... (Tesla has a simplified NEMA 14-50 with 40A hardwired that is sold for S and X for $30 cheaper than the adaptable one.) We don't know what will be included for the 3. If it's the more flexible one, like was included with our S, then @david flores can go ahead and pick up various ends to connect to other outlets, should the need arise.

6. Famman49

Famman49 New Member

Tesla Shop does not offer a CHAdeMO adapter for the 3 yet. At least as far as I can find. They do have one for the S/X. Any word on when they will offer a working CHAdeMO adapter for the 3?