Model 3, how will owners react to quality and reliability issues?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Mergoscia, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

#1 Mergoscia, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    https://electrek.co/2017/03/21/tesla-quality-issue-model-3-owners-jd-power/

Tesla's quality issues will be harder to overlook for model 3 owners, says J.D. Power.

What do you think about it as future owner?

I know I see myself as an "almost" early adapter. And "almost" has all to do with the money I have or rather the money I do not have. I am not someone who can spent large amounts of money purely for the development of new products. But I do want to support "green"-products for all the obvious reasons.
    Therefore I buy green products when they have (or you may assume they have) a certain level of quality without big or many quality and reliability issues. That you can rely on the fact you do not have to return to the seller or to the brand to get a lot of things fixed or that big issues will occur.
    From early 2016 I see Tesla now as a full grown company which is beyond the growth of "childern deseases". Tesla in my view is expected to deliver a product with the highest quality in all the (5) categories. Even among carmakers who are 60 to a 100 years old.
    Is this a compliment for Tesla? Yes it is, but it will not last when my future car breaks down every other second.
    Returning to the question.......What do you think as an future owner?

2. clprenz

clprenz Member

I agree Mergoscia! I think Tesla has offically cross the point where a misstep could kill the company. The Model 3 will be on time, with a more reliable platform than the Model S/X and less crazy features than the S or X (Handles, doors, etc)

3. Jaken

Jaken New Member

Quality issues are exactly why Tesla is starting their M3 manufacturing ramp up with the simplest the configuration they can. Most manufacturers would do the same. You try minimize financial losses while getting the bugs out of the manufacturing process for a new product. Until Tesla is manufacturing something like 4000 or 5000 vehicles a week they will be taking losses. By the time they get the ramp up to around the 4000-5000 vehicle mark they will have most of worst of the bug's figured out. Those customers waiting for the more complex configurations will get a better vehicle experience because of this.

4. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

I agree but on one point. The financial losses will be there for a couple of years. They have to pay back all the external investors and stock holders.
    And I gather that Elon wants his money as well for other projects.............
    Next project hopefully; a world-wide vegan restaurant-chain next to Super Chargers runned by Kimbal Musk.

Because, cows, pigs, horses, chicken, goats, sheep etc. themselves produce greenhousegasses (CH4); Next to that CO2 is used as an anaesthetic, before killing the animals. Animals are bigger CH4 and CO2 producers than industry and cars combined.
    I think this is a quality and reliability question too; although ( except leather interiors) not related to the Model 3 directly. But would be nice if Elon and Kimble could do something about that too.