Long time owner, 1st time visitor

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by Lush1, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Lush1

Lush1 New Member

Steve from Philly here. Happy to have joined the community.
    Ordered my S 60 in 2010 (res # 1712). Got it in February, 2013 and been grinning ever since.
    Have watched many of the great videos, but recently connected with another Tesla owner in my town which led me to the forum, so I eagerly joined.
    Look forward to much fun and sharing info with other like minded Tesla lovers
    Cheers!

2. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Steve!
    Good to have you & thanks for introducing yourself!

How many miles did you put on the grin-inducing S60? Did you reserve a Model 3?
    It's good for us non-T≡SLA owners (yet!) to benefit from the experience of folks like you so share abundantly! ;)

3. Lush1

Lush1 New Member

I only have about 25,500 on it. I only had a 9 mile commute to work before I retired, though it took over 45 minutes many days. Now that I have more free time we're taking more trips. Put over 700 miles on last weekend and will do another 400+ in a few days. Grinning all the way.

And yes, I did reserve a 3. My annual service was scheduled the day they started taking reservations. The Service Center had a long line when they opened, but when I got there around noon, the rush was over. I just walked right up and put my money down.

Not sure if I will switch or not. I live on a tiny street with a small garage. Getting the big Model S in and out of here is hard. My rims get beat up something awful. But I love the car.

Back in my ICE days I had an Infiniti G35 6 speed stick. I loved it and it was just the right size, IMO. I think the 3 has similar proportions, but is probably much roomier inside. Once I sit and one and drive it I'll be able to decide.

I'm tall and have back problems, so seating position and legroom are the first things I check when evaluating a car. I imagine the 3 will be excellent. The S suits me well, but is the biggest car I've ever owned and more car than I need. Guess that would be what they call a "luxury problem", but really it's not a problem at all. Either way, I'll be happy. I love my early Model S and don't care that it will never have auto-pilot, etc. Some day my feelings on that may change, but honestly, I believe I could be content driving my Model S for many, many more years.

Thanks for writing. Happy I found my way to this forum.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lush1

Lush1 New Member

Oh, for those considering a Tesla, I have a story worth sharing. It's really not a happy story, but it speaks to the amazing safety and strength of the Model S. Below is a link to the tale in the forum on the Tesla site. Hope the link works. If not, I'll paste it in here tomorrow, or start a new thread about it.
    https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/tesla-does-well-after-hitting-deer

5. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Thanks for sharing! Yeah, grin topic yet fantastic outcome seen the high attention given by T≡SLA engineers to passive if not active safety of their cars! Unfortunately, imagine the deer did not do as well and can't grin any long thinking about it... ;)
    Was intrigued by where you grew up as I spend two years in Akron in the mid-nineties and met my wife there... It's a small world!! :)

6. Lush1

Lush1 New Member

#6 Lush1, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Small world indeed! I've been more active than usual on the Tesla forum this week and now I'm on this forum. With people the world over reading these posts, it seems unlikely that I would ever connect with another person. Yet, I'm now in touch with Tesla owner 3 blocks from me and another Philadelphian who I met today at a Tesla social. Another guy reached out after I mentioned the building I worked in. He went to a doctor there, but it turns out he knows people I worked with for decades, but on a different floor of the building. Now on my 1st post here, you and I find something in common. It's quite a treat, but I'm still amazed how long the odds are. Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket. I'm feeling lucky.

7. Lush1

Lush1 New Member

Oh, I forgot to say, killing the deer was terrible and I still feel sick about it. Never killed a living thing bigger than a mosquito in my life and it was really messing with me for a few days. But I have finally accepted that the deer hit me and there was no way I could have avoided it. With 4 people in the car, I'm feeling lucky that none of us was injured. Given the chances of a truly catastrophic outcome, I'm not even upset that my car took major damage. We got home safely and the car still works perfectly.

I guess most of that is in my story, but as you mentioned it in your reply, I didn't want to ignore it or give the impression I didn't care. It was one of the most upsetting and jarring experiences of my life.

• Like Like x 1