Is there Blind Spot Warning on Tesla?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by J D Gaines, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Administrator

Like I said, sound alert should be added soon... ;)

2. McTesla

McTesla New Member

I haven't taken the mirror apart to find out. Generally these mirrors are not 100% silvered and an internal light source is able to shine through. The circuit diagram seems rather clear.

3. jvl007

jvl007 New Member

Bumping an old discussion regarding blind spot monitoring.

Anyone know if an update would be issued anytime soon for at least an alert/beep to alert you of blindspot? Looks like from post above, there is an blind spot warning light in the mirror - just not on or activated/used through the software?

Just curious. Took delivery of an MS recently. Kind of annoyed (hah) that there's no indicator, other than the instrumental panel showing the clusters of cars around your Tesla. The recent software update does show a red line, if you signal, and there is a car in your blind spot, but you sort of have to look down.

My other car has a light that flashes in the side mirror, regardless of whether you signal or not, of cars that are in your blindspot or coming up quickly to your car on either lanes. It flashes when you signal though. No audible alert though.

Not a deal-breaker, but nice to have at least audible alert, if Tesla can update it. Not sure if the blind spot light in mirror is legit or not. Why have it if you won't use it?

Also - lane keep assist - same thing. It just vibrates but the vibration is subtle. Cars that I've own, would basically alert you in the instrument panel, plus beep at you, unless you actually signal.

Awesome car otherwise. =)

4. Michael Russo

Welcome. As far as I know an audible bind spot warning is in the works yet no clear indication as to when it will happen.

I find the inability to pass a car while in Autopilot already a great help...

Yet continuous improvement is T≡SLA’s middle name... ;)

5. Michael Russo

To my post above, recent relevant tweet... ;)

6. jvl007

jvl007 New Member

Haha thanks! I would imagine if they do release an update with the audible sound warning to notify you of blind spot, it would only sound if you signal. If you don't signal, you wont' know, unless you look over your shoulder, which OK, one can easily do than rely on notifications/audible but it's just nice to have. Just would be nice to have. Not complaining.

Most lower end cars, in the 30k, have the feature with the light built into the side mirrors and lights up when car is in your blind spots, regardless if you signal or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ron Miller

Ron Miller New Member

Actually, you got that backwards. It's glancing at the sideview LED that makes one completely lose sight of the road in front. Lowering ones gaze a few degrees to clearly see the instrument cluster BSW can be done while maintaining a good view of the road ahead. There are many, many owners who continue to gripe about the absence of a sideview-mirror LED, but I find Tesla's implementation to be somewhat better. It does take some getting used to, but it works well. That said, I see no reason why the BSW warning system couldn't employ BOTH the IC display AND the sideview LED if that LED is already sitting there unused.