Is there Blind Spot Warning on Tesla?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by J D Gaines, Jul 2, 2017.

1. J D Gaines

J D Gaines New Member

#1 J D Gaines, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    Just got my new Tesla S-100 and noticed that there was no blind spot warning on this supposedly technologically advanced car! On my previous Audi, when attempting to pass if it was not safe a light would flash on my sideview mirror and there would be a beeping sound. The only thing the Tesla has is a model of the car on the dashboard and concentric gray circles appear when there is an object close to the Tesla. Unfortunately by the time one sees this it is too late to pull out and pass! Does any one know if a software update is planned to solve this issue?

Addendum:
    Just returned from a drive on the highway with my local service department's lead technician. He confirmed that despite what the salesman told me before i spent all that money on the Tesla, that it does NOT have any blind spot warning system (like our Volvo or my 4 ye. old Audi) which can inform the driver that it is safe to pull out in the adjacent lane to pass or return to another lane. The concentric circles on the dashboard appear way to late for this to be safe. Interestingly enough when we had the car in the full autonomous mode when you turned the blinker on to pass, the car would not proceed into the next lane unless it was safe to do so! If it can do this, why can't they design it to do something similar in regular drive mode?

Can anyone help me with an answer to this problem? Is there a software update planned? I called Tesla's 800 help line, but they informed me that there was already a visual and auditory warning system in place to help the driver determine if it was safe to pass.

2. EVFreak

EVFreak New Member

The "blind spot" warning is in fact what you've already observed as those rings that appear next to the car in the instrument cluster. I agree that it is nowhere near what one would expect in a blind spot monitoring system.

3. MikeH

MikeH New Member

Yeah, the rings are not as good as they could be. My wife likes to turn on the rear view camera on the top half of the display. I find it distracting when on the freeway but it does show your blind spots. Use care because it is a very wide angle view which makes things look farther away than they actually are.

4. Kross

Kross New Member

I found this to be annoying as well! Of course, with AP engaged, it's a little better, since the car won't change lanes unless it's clear. But while doing your usual day-to-day driving, it's annoying to have to look for the little signal/circle things to appear on the screen to show there's something around your vehicle.

5. J D Gaines

J D Gaines New Member

Thank you both for your comments on my post. Yes, these rings appear way too late for one to safely change lanes. Even a Ford or Chevy have this basic safety feature! You would think that since Tesla has been able to do it in autonomous mode, that a simple software update should be able to do the same thing in normal driving mode

6. EVFreak

EVFreak New Member

One saving grace is that the Tesla has very good visibility out the sides so looking over your shoulder (as one should always do anyways) is easy. I came from a Porsche Panamera that had one of the worst blind spots from the driver's seat and the Lane Change Assist feature in the side mirrors was very helpful.

One thing I do and also preach to others before they learn to drive is to aim the side mirrors so that you see the fenders only when your head is touching the driver's window or leaned to the equivalent distance on the passenger side. This gives you much more coverage of the blind spots when in your normal driving position and generally a better awareness of the cars surrounding you when driving.

Most people will find it difficult because they learned to drive a different way, but it just takes some getting used to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. George Swan

George Swan New Member

I agree that this is a sorely missing safety feature. I haven't done the research, but my sense is that *all* new cars have some form of blind spot warning. My wife's basic 3-year old nissan does.

My last car was a BMW, and it vibrated the steering wheel as a warning. Ironically, the Tesla S has the h/w sitting there to do the same. It vibrates the steering wheel on lane assist, and it shows little expanding circles on the dash when cars are close by, so it doesn't seem hard to put the two together and have the steering wheel vibrate as the blind spot warning. I'll take it being overly 'chatty' than having nothing. I just don't feel safe without it now. Tesla, minus 100 points on my happiness rating with my new car

8. jayjay

jayjay New Member

I inquired with the local Tesla store and called the help line before purchasing my P90D and was told that there was blind spot detection. They both said that there was an avatar of a car that would show up on the dash next to the avatar of the Tesla. I got this same story from multiple;tiple sources and told it was in the current firmware. It's been over a year and still doesn't exist. The flashing arcs don't show that there is a car there. They flash almost all the time if you're passing a rose bush, near the curb, or other objects. On all the other cars I've driven recently, a light goes on in the side view mirror when a car is in the blind spot. If you put on turn signal with car in blind spot, it beeps. If the Tesla can figure out auto lane changes, it surely should be able to give blind spot warnings to human drivers. I guess the engineers are busy with more important updates like enabling us to read our tire pressure in BAR units in addition to PSI.

9. sharpgtr

sharpgtr Member

I have to agree the lack of this feature in such a technologically advanced vehicle is quite annoying. Especially when your other older ICE vehicles have the feature you tend to start relying on it.

10. JimHarris

JimHarris New Member

They are completely retarded. They have all the hardware and software to have it self drive, yet they refuse to make a blind spot indicator. They should have done it 4 years ago, and there is NO excuse for it to not be done by now.

11. Tokyo X

Tokyo X New Member

I would love to have acess to the side cameras when indicators turn on.
    If the images from side camera shows in dash board, we won’t be needing blind spot detection!

12. McTesla

McTesla New Member

Also irritated by the lack of a blindspot warning light. Just by chance I got a hold of the 2014 wiring diagram.
    Lo and behold! There is a blind spot warning light in the mirror. It is even hooked up to the door control module. Tesla's software just doesn't use it. For shame Tesla! BlindspotMirrorLED.jpg

13. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Administrator

Watch for more in an upcoming OTA update? ;)

14. McTesla

McTesla New Member

I'm not holding my breath. The electrical diagram is from 2014.

15. Michael Russo

Keep the faith... :D

16. EMFChicago

EMFChicago New Member

I had a 70D for 3 years and just got a new 75D and I have been complaining about the lack of a blind spot warning system on this car as long as I've had it. My daughter's $20,000 Mazda CX5 has a much better system than my Tesla. With all their technology, I simply can't believe they have not figured this out yet. The new software shows cars behind you which is an improvement, but you can't use that to decide if it's safe to change lanes.

17. McTesla

McTesla New Member

At this point it is "just" software holding this back. Our cars already have the light. Really frustrating.

18. EMFChicago

EMFChicago New Member

Where would the light be that would flash the warning?

19. Michael Russo

In my experience, with AP, and V9, the car won’t let you change lane and displays a red line if there is a car behind, in your blind spot and just ahead of you on the left... that’s the equivalent visual blind spot warning. Elon tweeted that an audio signal would be added via OTA soon... :)

20. EMFChicago

EMFChicago New Member

I don't use AP so that's not much help. If the warning is a red line on the dash in front of you, then you're looking at that and not at traffic. That doesn't work. On both of my other cars, there is a sound alert and a light flashes on the side view mirror if there is a car in your blindspot and you try to change lanes. My guess is putting a light in the mirror is not something Tesla can do now but they need to come up with a better solution than they have now.