Introducing... Red Dragon...!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Michael Russo, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Well, wifey and I took a little excursion down to Paris, France... Reason is we had a big decision to take, one that required tangible proof...

I am on record for having said here and elsewhere many times we are in much worse situation in EU with regards to CPO S’, not to mention X’... Cars that would make sense to me in terms of short age and/or low mileage are extremely rare and by default then still very expensive, say €65-70k at an absolute minimum. Since I want to keep my T≡SLA ten years if not more, and drive at least 20-25k miles each year, anything over 35k miles was off limits for me... and I always said my budget for Midnight S≡R≡NITY was €45k, after deduction of the 6k French EV incentives...

So, did not keep my hopes up... yet, with probably 18 months to go before Midnight S≡R≡NITY would show it’s cute little nose... and not I’ve been saying 18 months for at least a quarter now... ;), I could not help to keep on eye on used S’ from time to time...

Three weeks ago, I spotted a slightly over 3 years old MCR S85, sold by a private individual in Paris, with only 16k miles/26,000 kms on... for €60k... o_ODespite the fact red is not my fav color (don’t need to remind you which one that is... :D), the price was low enough - yet still too high to pass my personal CEO - and frankly my own - test, I called the guy anyway... To make a(n already) long story shorter, in essence the car seemed interesting, had the tremendous advantage of having both EAP and free SC for life... so, since both him & I were both taking a ten day trip (extraordinary enough to only about 80 miles from eachother in SW France), I told him I’d think about it... and most importantly y’all to wifey... ;)

A week ago, as we were driving back from Italy, he called to ask whether I had taken a decision. So I told him, well, your car intrigues me, yet the maximum I’d pay would most likely not be agreeable to him... :D So he goes, what would that be and I answer €55k tops... thinking he’ll hang up on me, and I add, I only have the full amount end of April once we closed on the sale of our Belgian house... His answer astounds me... he accepts the 5k lower price yet could not deal with waiting for 4 weeks ‘cause he needed the money for his new car...

Last chapter... we agreed to meet today. In the meantime, I decided to take a bridge loan for 30% for only one month (cost $40... :D) in order to be ready in case I liked the car... :)

Bottom line, test drove it & scrutinized it, it is in pristine condition, with a very small scratch on the front bumper to the right and a couple of minor rim rashes... net result: I GOT MY VIN today!!!
    I take the TGV (high speed train) to Paris next Friday 4/6 to pick it up... :) :)

Some pics below...

I will hold on to my Model 3 reservation for now... We all know by now I’ll jump up the line next year and can decide what to do by then. Chances are I could either resell the S if I’d want to have Midnight S≡R≡NITY anyways and lose little to nothing on the resale value since I got it so cheap, or make folks down the line happy by cancelling my res (my hunch today, the latter scenario has the greater probability as I see it today...).

Ideally, I’d like to upgrade the front to the redesigned mustache look like Ben Sullins did on his S, and, at least as much, nicer looking new 19s, keeping the stock rims for winter tires, yet we’ll see about these enhancements later, depending how well my business goes...

Anyways, sorry for jumping ship, guess I just could not pass on this fantastic opportunity!!! Don’t know how I’ll sleep until end of next week... :eek:

Guess you’ll give me feedback...

2. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    Good job @Michael Russo! As I've mentioned before. Save the € and keep the Classic S front... (@gene might disagree!)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

4. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

By the way, to my post above, a few words about my wall connector purchasing experience.

As you know, I am now 3 weeks from moving to the SW of France, where, until further notice, I will be at least 2.5 hrs away from the nearest Service Center.
    I will be lucky enough, thanks to the kind assistance of the previous owner, to have a de facto delivery experience for Red Dragon in the T≡SLA Store in Vélizy, west of Paris, on Friday... Yet they don’t have wall connectors on hand there...

Of course, y’all will say, you can order online... yeah, well, I was born in the last century and I don’t like to wait (you noticed, didn’t ya?! ;)). So yesterday, after completing an important work project at 3 pm, I called T≡SLA in Brussels (40’ away), checked availability, reserved one (fortunately I had the VIN # on the purchase contract!) and was back home at 5:45 pm to take the pic above!!
    Priceless!! :cool:

5. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

OMG - crucial Red Dragon update! Woke up this morning after I had a dream on this exact same topic... to see the little bit of extra money I needed (as a one month bridge loan to the closing of our house) on my French bank account, one day earlier than planned!!

This will maximize my chances for the credit to be on the escrow account (in a different bank - normally takes one day at least to transfer) by Friday for the agreed pick up!! We’re all set then!

I am so thrilled... was already up at 4am today (in the dream the money wasn’t coming thru on time ;)) and fear the last two nights will be patchy at best!!

Oh... to soon live the dream (not this one, the good one about being a T≡SLA owner!!) :cool:

6. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

7. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Quick update before I leave Paris in a couple of hours; longer report tomorrow morning my time!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Here is my morning after report, as promised:
    - it was a bit daunting to drive this rather large vehicle in Paris traffic last night, yet I was taking it easy and the car is as actually at least as pleasant for me in smooth driving rather than in constant 0-60 record seeking
    - as I was about to leave the city, after a quick dinner with my sister, I started to hear a very disturbing loud, lingering sound from ‘behind the 17’’ screen’... which did not even stop when I stopped the car & locked it?!?! I thought, OMG ?!?! Called T≡SLA assistance who guide me thru a quick software reboot (concurrent push of the two scroll buttons on the wheel with the brake pedal. Noise gone after this reset; he said it was a bug... OK, fine, didn’t lose my cool yet found it a bit eerie... o_O
    - AutoPilot was very pleasant - drove about 70 mph/115 km/h most of the way, with average consumption around 230-235 Wh/km; though @TrevP gave me the key to how to activate the auto lane change, couldn’t quite figure it out yet...
    - Took my first SC just before Belgian border, rejoiced for ~150 miles/240 kms in about 40’... Nobody else around at past midnight.

Overall, enjoyed the ride and felt excited yet calm at the same time... already on my second SC session today until I check home charging on the normal 220V outlet later today.

Happy to be part of the family... Feel much less burn waiting for Midnight S≡R≡NITY! ;)

9. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

10. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

12. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    Check the sign...

Some hosts allow short-term ICE parking in Supercharger stalls as a condition of providing the land for Tesla to use for the supercharger.

NOT an uncommon practice... That being said, if there was ample regular spots... still an ICEHOLE move

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Interesting, Dennis, good to know.
    This sign though says ‘reserved for charging EVs’... ;)

14. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

I have been driving Red Dragon in and around Pau in SW France for the last few days and not a day goes by without someone looking around the car every time I park asking a lot of questions, with one absolute constant: ‘what range do you get...?’ ;)

On the way down, some safety engineer driving a Volvo SUV asked me as I was juicing up at a Supercharger next to a Ibis hotel (Accor group) all he ever wanted to know about T≡SLA yet wasn’t apparently able to before! I gladly accommodated his curiosity and when we were down, Red Dragon was again at full charge and I was ready to go... who ever said supercharging takes long?! :)

15. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Got a quote from my local electrician for installing my T≡SLA Wall Connector in my garage and my blood pressure went up a notch... about €1,800 ($2.2k) incl. €1,000 for a differential for tri-phase 400V current fortunately available in the house already...

Oh well, Red Dragon deserves proper feeding, doesn’t it... ?! ;)

16. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

17. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  18. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Really nice pic, @Dennis !
    The color combo at dusk is fabulous and it fits well with my favorite Model 3 color!!
    :cool::cool::cool:

19. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator