Interested in Tesla

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by JCJ007, Sep 12, 2018.

1. JCJ007

JCJ007 New Member

Hello all I am fascinated by the phenomenon that is Tesla how it has captured people's imagination and I am following the story of it's coming demise. With the onslaught of new competition the slew of executives running away in the opposite direction and the continuing production problems including the increasingly erratic boss. I could be wrong this Government subsided empire and the darling of the stock market could yet surprise us all again. Is Elon Musk the next Tucker, De Lorean or Henry Ford? Its going to be an exciting six months where we find out whether the share price can stay above $360 saving Tesla from it's debt problems, whether the production problems will be overcome or whether this becomes the largest business crash in modern times.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Hello, I find it intriguing that you are fascinated yet talk about an upcoming demise. All indications are that, with the Model 3 ramped up production, T≡SLA will start to become sustainably profitable in the coming months.

Maybe you’re being swayed by all the negative press on the company and it’s charismaric (and sometimes too human?) CEO. I for one am confident that the company has never been in such a promising position though some challenges remain.

I think in a few years, Elon Musk will be undoubtly - and even more than before - looked upon as a bold innovator & game changer with a true, sound purpose for the planet. This is rare enough in this day and change that he merits our full support & vote of confidence...

3. JCJ007

JCJ007 New Member

The future is yet unwritten so both realities are still possible.

A: He yet again surprises us all and defies his critics and builds one of the greatest and most successful brands in history.
    or
    B: It all unravels the debts are called in, everything collapses and it all ends up in court and a sentence.

I don't know which but it's certainly going to be an interesting story I look forward to the film one day and whether the ending is the fairy tale you describe or the nightmare. I hope you get your car whatever happens though. Unless there are some incredible technology break throughs I think electric cars will peak and decline anyway. Musk may be the pioneer but he may or may not be the eventual victor.

4. Spudley

Spudley New Member

There are, of course, plenty of possible stories in between those two extremes... "C: Tesla continues to do well; doesn't become a super-brand, but does grow large enough to hold its own in the auto industry." or "D: Tesla loses market share slowly and is eventually bought out by a competitor". Or plenty of others. The point is, as you say, it's unwritten so far. Nobody knows. Lots of people think they know, which is why the share price is so jumpy, but mostly those people buying and selling are reacting to short-term news rather than the long-term story, even if they claim otherwise.

This is rather negative. There have already been some major breakthroughs, and if you think an electric car can't hold its own against a traditional ICE-fuelled car, then you clearly haven't driven a Tesla. Even something like a Nissan Leaf is a good car these days.

In any case, regardless of the whether there are breakthroughs or not, electric cars are not going away -- a number of countries have already passed laws that will ban the sale of new ICE vehicles from various dates in the future. If you want to buy a new car in Europe or China in fifteen or twenty years time, it will almost certainly be electric, because ICE fuelled cars won't be allowed to be sold any more. The traditional manufacturers that are rushing to bring electric cars to market are doing it as much because of this as they are to compete with Tesla.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JCJ007

JCJ007 New Member

I'm pretty Confident but have not yet invested in shorting Tesla that there are a lot of reasons Elon can't sleep at night among those are getting many thousands of ordinary hardworking people to invest in the dreams of cars he neither has the production capacity or in the case of the Model 3 or in the case of the new roadster the technology yet to fulfill those orders. To say nothing of the massive Government subsidies or recent exodus of executives.

I have been in a Tesla it is a great car with its autonomy, style, technology and rapid acceleration I get the concept its very cool. I have nothing against electric cars however.....

Let's be clear I think countries who have banned ICE have been impetuous for 3 important reasons first of all if you believe in man made CO2 based climate change Electric cars on a Production to Scrapyard calculation unfortunately have a bigger CO2 footprint than conventional ICE cars, if there is a proliferation of Electric vehicles we will start to run out of the materials to build them anymore, third putting those two fairly big issues to one side the global power generation grids are nowhere near the capacity required to support a boom in electric vehicles let alone in a position to provide abundant "clean" electric power.

As we get closer to the deadlines to ban all forms of ICE we will discover the flaws in the science behind CO2 based climate change and even if we don't Fuel Cell and more efficient ICE technology will be reaching maturity. I simply think Electric cars are not the future because of all the reasons I have outlined they will plateau at the point where government subsidies, materials and spare power capacity evapourate and then they will face a steep decline. Unless of course large technology breakthroughs happen to ensure electric cars have a future. Tesla Nio and companies like this will need to invest very heavily to invent their way out of this dead end fad. So roll up and buy this technological curiosity while you still can!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Funny I have seen studies that point to EV having a more favorable cradle to grave carbon footprint even the electricity used to power them is made in a coal plant....
    Also I am confident that, when it comes to their most rare (or controversial, like in the case of cobalt) components, battery technologies will continuously evolve so that these get either eliminated or replace with alternative for which there is ample supply.

By the way I already have a Model S... ;)

7. JCJ007

JCJ007 New Member

#7 JCJ007, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    What can I say? I'm glad you have your Model S wish I could live in your world of

You are great optimists. I'm an optimist to about Climate Change and a better future than we think but admittedly my view of the great Messiah Elon Musk is rather more skeptical than yours I have seen his type before he is a great showman which has taken him this far but with showmen all is not always as it seems.

8. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

#8 Michael Russo, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    That’s ok. We don’t have to all agree as long as we stay civil about it! :)
    With you on Climate Change ultimately being curbed somehow. As stated, in the next several years, I expect the move to EVs to help though more must be done...

9. JCJ007

JCJ007 New Member

Thank you. Despite my against the grain views on CO2 based Climate Change I do believe in more efficient use of our resources if we continue to burn petrol we need to find cleaner and more efficient ways of doing it.

Batteries suffer weight, scarce materials and longevity issues radical leaps in technology are needed to overcome these problems not to mention power infrastructure and higher production costs to make electric cars the dominant force in the market.

I would advocate using cars and all consumer products much longer to reduce environmental impact, our throw away society is not sustainable. Both my petrol cars are over 18years old and one has 112,000miles on the clock which makes them more environmental.

All vehicles need to go on a diet they are far too heavy reducing weight reduces energy consumption which makes a genuine difference to how resources are used and any related pollution.

Elon Musk is a technology visionary but the greatest automotive visionary is Professor Gordon Murray. The two must of met when Elon picked up his McLaren F1 before crashing it. Elon would be wise to call on Gordon's 50 years of expertise in the development of future models.