How my Model S possibly saved the lives of me and 3 passengers

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Lush1, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Lush1

Lush1 New Member

I'm a new member on this forum. In my introduction thread I posted a link to a recent story I wrote up on the Tesla Model S website forum. It's a bit graphic, but I feel it is an important demonstration of how strong and safe the Model S is, so here is the story I posted there for those who don't follow that forum:
    -----
    I feel compelled to testify about how well my Tesla protected its occupants in an awful situation. So, I was in the beautiful, wooded, Berkshire mountains of New York state this weekend. Saturday night a small fox safely crossed the road in front of our car. I remarked that I found it unusual that I hadn't seen any sign of deer in that remote wilderness. I grew up near Cleveland, Ohio and now live in Philadelphia, PA. Even within those big cities, deer leaping into the path of cars is common. I said that it never even came close to happening to me but I had seen people injured and knew someone who died that way, and seen many cars totaled after hitting deer. The 5 people (including me) in my Tesla talked about it at length. Sunday afternoon, a mere 12 hours later, while driving home at 55 mph on the horrid, infamous, deadly Taconic Parkway in New York, my 40 year lucky streak ended. A deer seemed to materialize maybe 60 feet in front of me. I'm not superstitious, but that coincidence is freaking me out. Today I looked up feet/second traveled at 55, average human reaction time and nominal stopping distance. I even took a few reaction time tests online and discovered that mine are a little better than average.
    I learned that "thinking time" at that speed is about 54 feet before a human can react and braking distance adds another 151 feet to avoid an object in the path of a car. I had just enough time to recognize what was happening and gasp, but nothing more. Probably just as well since, as we all agreed, often panic or a reflexive attempt to avoid the inevitable results in loss of vehicle control or collisions with other cars or objects. Why the grim backstory? Well, to report how well the Model S did. The right front fender is bent up but still connected to the car, the hood has a small dent from the deer head hitting it, the heavy front bumper clip is pushed back but not quite touching the tire, but that's it. The lights aren't even broken. The animal went under both right side wheels. I still feel sick from the experience but I am amazed that the damage was mostly cosmetic. Traffic was moderately heavy, we were on a curve where following cars could not see very far ahead, and the road had no shoulders at all so I could not safely stop right away. As the seconds ticked by I prepared for anything from a wheel coming off, at minimum a tire to deflate, or anything in between, but no. I finally reached a rest stop several miles beyond the impact and stopped to do a safety check. I still can't believe the limited damage the car sustained. I drove another 200 or so miles and got home without any problem. I don't think it was just luck that we dodged a veritable bullet. I believe the Tesla is just more robust than we were lucky. I am thanking my lucky stars I was in a car that is built so well. I have seen many cars instantly immobilized after hitting smaller objects at much lower speeds. I sure hadn't expected to provide an actual demonstration to validate the safety claims I made to my passengers the night before when we discussed the very subject at length. WOW.
    ---
    For those who want to read the follow-up comments, here's the link to the thread in Tesla's Model S forum:
    https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/tesla-does-well-after-hitting-deer

P.S. Will try to post some pics tomorrow. Gotta sleep now. Going to my 1st local Tesla social in the morning!