How much development will AP1 continue to receive?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Ruffles, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Ruffles

Ruffles New Member

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Model X. My budget allows for a CPO X90D or a new X75D. I live in rural Idaho so range is very important and to be honest, I want the faster acceleration. My only question is around the auto pilot hardware.

I've been very impressed with the demo of AP1. I LOVE driving so even if I could just get in the car in my garage and say take me to work, I don't know if I would because I would miss the driving experience. For me, I think it would be a fun parlor trick to impress friends but not something I'd use often.

At the moment, it seems like Tesla's focus is on AP2 and self driving. Do you think AP1 will continue to be refined or is it completely done? Being a tech guy, I hate the idea of buying "old" hardware but I can't bare to give up the range and acceleration just to get a new 75D. What do you think?

2. GrandPoobah

GrandPoobah Member

AP1 is done. There will probably be no more additional features added to AP1 (other than minor bug fixes and API changes) because Tesla has parted ways with MobileEye. Tesla has pegged its future AutoPilot Full Self-Driving Mode and even advances in Enhanced Autopilot on AP2. However, if you like driving rather than being chauferred, it may not be a big difference to you.

I am personally not on board with all the hype surrounding self-driving. I think they may be able to autonomously drive across country by next year, but will they ever be able to handle all the corner cases (weird scenarios) that are posed to drivers in everyday driving? If ALL cars on the road are autonomous and are ALSO able to "talk" to each other, they could coordinate their actions. However, if there is one "idiot" driver mixed in with them driving an older car which doesn't communicate, then all hell can break loose. I think it will be many years before I trust a machine to handle my crazy commute, especially since no one seems to be addressing the need for the cars to "talk" to each other. I guess I'll be the "idiot" driver. :rolleyes: