Heat problem with driver display

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Les Inanchy, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Les Inanchy

Les Inanchy New Member

With usually high temperatures in our area, we recently had a problem with the display directly in front of the steering wheel. Several times it would go completely blank for a few seconds and then come back on. This seem to be related to unusually hot weather in our neighborhood. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a solution? We do have a black car with a black interior, which may relate to the problem.

2. Lush1

Lush1 New Member

I've had a Model S since 2013. Never had that happen, nor have I read of it on other Tesla forums I follow. I have parked in the sun on many 100º, humid days in Philadelphia. I imagine temps are higher in San Jose, but I suspect heat alone is not the cause. I can't prove it, but if it was a common, or even a rare failure, chances are good I would have heard about it.

Hope you get to the bottom of it. If I was you, I would contact a Service Center right away. Perhaps they have seen it before or can find something in the vehicle logs to identify the cause of the fault.

Please keep us posted if you learn what happened. I'm quite curious about this.

Also, if you haven't done so, you could engage the cabin overheat protection function to keep the interior cool in extreme heat. It will use energy from the pack, but unless you are at a low state of charge, you can probably afford the small amount of range it will take to keep the interior from becoming an oven, if it turns out heat is the culprit.

3. Les Inanchy

Les Inanchy New Member

We ended up taking the car into the service center, and they replace the drivers display unit. The best part of the whole experience was that they gave us a 90 D model S as a loaner car for a couple of days. They really know how to make a person miserable.

4. Lush1

Lush1 New Member

Yes, the Service Center really should have loaned you a P100D ;) ha, ha!

So glad it is fixed. Did they figure out what caused the problem with the old display, or is that still a mystery? It would be interesting to know if heat was the problem. I tend to doubt it, but I'm not an expert.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

P.S. I've had very few problems with my now 4+ year old Model S. Every time I go to the Service Center, for annual checkups or for service, I leave 100% satisfied and smiling. I don't think I ever left a gas car car dealership totally satisfied, ever. Tesla is remarkable.

5. Carol Palmer

Carol Palmer New Member

Hot weather should not be an issue
    The battery is liquid cooled/heated, so to a point, ambient temperature isn't really an issue as the car tries to maintain the correct temperature. Keep it plugged in whenever possible (even plugged into 110V is better than nothing).