First sighting of a blue Tesla Model 3 testing on the freeway with Ludicrous chase car

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by gene, Apr 8, 2017.

1. gene

gene Moderator

#1 gene, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After we revealed the first spy shots of a Tesla Model 3 release candidate testing in Silicon Valley, a series of new Model 3 sightings have taken place across Palo Alto and the surrounding area near the company’s headquarters. A black Model 3 with new sensors was recently caught on video doing a spirited drive through the curvy backroads behind Tesla’s HQ. Photos of a black and a blue Model 3 was also recently captured by Jalopnik on the company’s lot.

Now, just days after the recent sightings, a new video has surfaced on YouTube by OMG_Tesla showing a blue Model 3 testing on Interstate 280 while supported by a Ludicrous Model S P90D serving as the chase car. Looking at the size difference between the Model S and Model 3, and one can clearly see that the Model 3 is a smaller and arguably a simpler looking car than its big brother. This would make sense considering Tesla continues to remind consumers that the Model 3 “isn’t ‘Version 3’ or the next generation Tesla”. Model 3 is “smaller, simpler, and will come with far fewer options than Model S”, says Tesla through a blog post aimed at helping buyers choose between a Model S and Model 3.

The guys from popular podcast The Tesla Show also caught a glimpse of a blue Tesla Model 3 on Saturday. The vehicle appears to be the same “release candidate” version spotted earlier in the week. We’ve added two photos of the vehicle courtesy of The Tesla Show. Visit their page to see the full gallery.

Gigafactory 1 in Sparks, Nevada will begin Model 3 battery pack production this quarter. Low volume production of the Model 3 is expected to begin in July, followed by a production ramp of nearly 10,000 vehicles per week in 2018.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Article: First sighting of a blue Tesla Model 3 testing on the freeway with Ludicrous chase car

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

#2 Mergoscia, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Tesla quoted "Model 3 is “smaller, simpler, and will come with far fewer options than Model S”, says Tesla through a blog post aimed at helping buyers choose between a Model S and Model 3".

The underscored and bolt parts of the sentence above worry me.
    - How simple will the model 3 be?? Too simple?????
    - What options will be left????? Almost nothing??????

I am not going to spent around $ 60.000 for a car which has almost nothing, even when it is a performance dual drive 85 kWh.
    In The Netherlands we have an expression.....
    "......Not a (one) hair on my head which think about that!" (spending $ 60.000 for a simple small car).
    So no way a Tesla when this will be the case, I will be out.............................!

Enough other electric cars in 2019 or 2020.

But as with buying (without seeing).... before I make my final decision I have to analyze the car in reality.

3. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@Mergoscia , I think you've already made that perfectly clear in this thread:
    https://forums.teslarati.com/threads/will-you-buy-without-seeing-model-3-in-person.1405/#post-3267
    :p:p:p

Let's just see what the car really has, and whether or not it meets our (individually specific) needs... July will be here soon! ;)

One last thing. Most recently indications given by Elon are that 75 kWh will be the largest battery size, at least for the foreseeable future, hence unsure what you mean by a 'performance dual drive 85 kwh'??

4. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

1) I still challenge Elon with 85,
    2) Even when it would have been a P85D but furthermore no other options, I am not spending Euro, yes Euro 65 till 73.000 on a model 3.
    I am a bit skeptical, because everytime Tesla is holding back more and more, reducing the atmospere of a Tesla.

5. Dan8

Dan8 New Member

I thought Tesla had hired a Porsche guru to design an interior that would look like a spaceship. So what happened to that? Is he still working on this? Makes no sense anyway you look at it. I don't like what's happening here but we'll see at the next reveal. We may all be disappointed.

6. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@Dan8 , check this recently started thread about your question:
    https://forums.teslarati.com/threads/spaceship-like-controls.1633/#post-3210
    Personally, I am convinced there will be more to come in this space :)D) maybe first on Model S/X yet soon thereafter, at least optionally.
    Note that the recent information stream had precisely the objective of having us all reframe our expectations a tad.
    After the first reveal, with the formidable & unexpected success in Model ≡ reservations, it became clear that some of the more exotic plans had to be scrapped or delayed in the interest of a timely start. What is about to happen mid-year will be critical on the path to accomplish Elon's Vision; it will bring more joy than disappointment.
    Let's all be a little more patient & keep the faith.
    Aren't the most recent sightings in CA great?! :)

7. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

#7 Michael Russo, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    1) Though a bit bold, at least short term, as you wish... ;)
    2) Understand, I wouldn't either...
    As stated, why don't we hold on a bit, see the car and the configurations then decide. I don't see the 'holding back more & more' bit though.
    We have had repeated sightings last week and information is starting to come. OK some of our wildest expectations have been tamed down yet I remain confident that Model ≡ will look & feel 'magnifica'!

8. LeoChelsea

LeoChelsea New Member

The M3 looks virtually unchanged from these recent pictures, which is fine with me. I actually like the fact the car is smaller than the S and less costly. This means it will fit in my small one car garage and the insurance premium will be less. In addition, New York recently announced it will offer a $2K rebate for electric cars costing less than $60K. So if by some miracle the $7,500 federal tax credit is still available, this will further reduce the cost of the car by $9,500. I wonder if Tesla will also continue its $1K referral program as with the model S and X.

9. Mark Schaffer

Mark Schaffer Member

Please just stop. It is better to remain silent...

10. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Mark, is your post a generic plea, or a more targeted observation? ;)

11. Mark Schaffer

Mark Schaffer Member

It is targeted against the poster spreading speculation and misinformation. I would love to see people held to account for spreading misinformation.

12. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Understand and agree with you on the value of accurate information. I do feel a little more forgiving when it comes to personal opinions which indeed often can veer into speculation. I'd suggest that it always be characterized as such; I generally try to do so by writing IMHO (in my humble opinion)....

13. Mark Schaffer

Mark Schaffer Member

Speculation is one thing but the 85Kwh battery pack for a Tesla Model 3 is fantasy. Direct that poster to Elon, who most certainly is NOT reading comments here.

14. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

I don't know who from T≡SLA keeps an eye on this site and/or other fora, yet I would not consider a fantasy that one of them does.
    Having said that, I agree with you that, as of today, an 85 kWh Model ≡ does not seem to be in the card any time soon... Will it ever be offered I don't know... yet not for several years for sure, so in current terms yes, it can be seen as a fantasy...
    I tried to respond to the original suggestion, however inaccurate today, yet as I generally do, with a bit of humor... You see, my belief is we are here to share our passion in a leisurely manner, not to be overly aggressive to eachother... Yet everybody is entitled to their own opinion... so I respectfully suggest we all try to stay cool... :)

15. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

#15 Mergoscia, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    For the direct future (<1 to 1,5 year) a 85kWh is probably a fantasy. But with the articles about the densitypossibilities of batteries, the first statement of Elon Musk about the size of the batterypack: " the model 3 will not have 100kWh. It simply does not fit" and that possible consumers of EV's having doubts about range and that Tesla having fears about it, I think a model 3 will have 85 or more kWh's batterypacks within 2 years. Evenmore... Toyota is changing tactics from fuel cell cars to electric chargeble batterypack cars. So the pressure is on for Tesla with the model 3.

And furthermore I am even more sorry to answer the question of Michael Russo: "Aren't the most recent sightings in CA great?!"
    With the knowlegde or the speculation, which Tesla itself created, that the options for the model 3 will be " with far fewer options then the model S", (take in mind that I refer to all the options mentioned on the model3tracker.info . And then fewer options then there described). I say NO. Sadly, I think I will be very diappointed when the Design studio springs to life, next June or July.

You bet that Tesla is reading and following Teslarati as well as Model3ownersclub and model3tracker.info. And probably some more sites.
    It's a source of information for them. From which they can interact quickly, if necessery.

But keep in mind, I really do want a model 3. That is why I do not want to be disappointed with a bad outcome.

16. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Over time, for sure Toyota will be a serious player in the BEV market... yet with their focus still largely on hybrids, and their daring yet not imminently very realistic attempts at fuel cells, it will be several years before they really represent 'pressure' to T≡SLA, IMHO...
    @Mergoscia , I don't fully understand why seeing several release candidates on the streets of California at this point, whether you are as excited by the design as I am (like many others I might add, cf. M3OC... ;)), does not at least bring you to some level of excitement as they are indicative of a timely launch, contrary to what so many naysayers pretended all along... How can you be so sure of your upcoming disappointment when not all is known yet...? Maybe you do have much higher expectations (which is of course your right!) and Model ≡ is not really made for you...
    Sometimes I wonder, I really do...
    Yet again, you are free of your choice...
    As for me, only excessive total price tag, most likely mainly due to a very weak €, could undermine my resolve...

17. Mark Schaffer

Mark Schaffer Member

You meant far fewer than the model S. Model3tracker.info is speculative in nature. I didn't expect everything on the premium model to make it to the 3. The revolution is for the low/zero pollution, quietness, overall quickness, safety, and to eventually have full level five autopilot. What do you want? For the vehicle to fly or go underwater? Be realistic.

18. Hovscorpion12

Hovscorpion12 New Member

Personally, I feel that users should be happy they're at least getting a 85 kWh battery, let alone any less. This is a whole new category of vehicles regardless that the Model S has been in production since 2012. The Model S started with a 60 kWh battery and was RWD. AWD was not in production until 2014. A larger battery does not mean longer mileage. I do believe engineers will be capable of putting a 100 kWh in the Model 3, however it may take a couple of years and I will gladly wait. This is a vehicle that is smaller and more cost affordable, meaning I have no problem if the final product has less then five options available. What most are forgetting is that the Model 3 comes with autopilot and self driving capabilities standard. (essentially removing the two options found on the S and X design studio.) The Subzero Weather Package and the Ultra High Fidelity Sound will most likely return. I am currently running a poll which currently hold close to 2,000+ votes who have indicated that they would only pay between the base $35,000 to $45,000.

19. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

#19 Mergoscia, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Is the poll for the American market only? If so, I do understand the pricing somewhat. US customers do not want to spend over $55k. Dutch customers are willing to spend a lot more. In terms of average spending they are willing to spend the most of the whole world (see the stats): upwards $ or Euro's 65.000 and higher. But then there need to be the best quality and more options, cause they want their model 3 as a somewhat luxurious small very save car or a sportscar.

20. Mark Schaffer

Mark Schaffer Member

The Netherlands has around 17 million citizens while the U.S. has over 320 million people. So good for the Dutch but why should a small population determine the options or price points?