Electrician fact check

Discussion in 'Tesla Charging' started by Coach G, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Coach G

Coach G New Member

Received the following reply from an electrician today after they surveyed our house (built in 1992 and no mods to electricity since) last Friday:

"I'm going to send a couple of estimates with some suggestions for your car charging solution. Due to the current loads on your panel it is going to be a bit much to add the (2) new 14/50R circuits, we would caution that the load could cause some tripping. We will be happy to send over an estimate as requested with the 14/50R receptacles, it will require installing a sub panel to free up some space, and again the added load may cause issues.

Two alternative options that would be a more guaranteed approach would be either to install (2) Wall charging units using the load shedding capabilities so you'd be able to charge both cars and only utilize the equivalent of the one added circuit. The other option would be to do a full service upgrade to 400 Amps and install the (2) 14/50R receptacles, the added service would give you enough capability to add the new circuits."

Questions:
    1) Wouldn't charging be ridiculously slow on 2 wall charging units that share a 50amp circuit?
    2) A full service upgrade to 400 Amps sounds pricey. Anyone else get this recommendation?

2. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    1) 25 miles an hour on the S and 20 or so on an X... how many miles are you driving?
    2) if you can get 400A from the utility... do it! (Especially if affordable)

3. Coach G

Coach G New Member

1) I'm driving 90 per day in the S (100D) and my wife will be driving 30 in the X.
    2) $4,500 for the 400A upgrade!

I think I'll go with the two wall chargers split if we really can get 25/hr on the S while getting 20/hr on the X overnight.

Thanks!

4. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    Get the sharing HPCs and don't worry about it. Just initiate charging on the S first.