E-TRIP the good the bad and the ugly~

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Teslasauras, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Teslasauras

Teslasauras New Member

Our second road trip since we took possession of our TESLA S 90D in December...
    Off to a wedding in Klamath Falls Oregon starting out in Santa Cruz, CA... looks and seems "easy" enough but discovered that the trek did have it's pitfalls and raised an alarm about the lack of infrastructure to support seamless charging from point A -> B.
    Our trip up to Klamath was "OK" the stop overs were not the best but we made it to our destination with an extra 2+ hours of charging.
    The return on this Sunday (July 30, 2017) was disappointing and "stressful" as we pulled into the Corning CA TESLA charging station (8 stalls / 7 working) there were 5 Tesla's ahead of us waiting for a charge... Totally "UNACCEPTABLE"
    I can only imagine now with the push for the 3 that any road trip will harken back to the "gas line" of 1970's. TESLA's infrastructure is going to be tested to the limit now, and needs to be improved quickly as producing cars without infrastructure will curtail anyone's enthusiasm to drive "green" for a long road trip without the proper facilities in place to support quick and easy charging.

2. Ron Miller

Ron Miller New Member

I've felt this coming (lines at the Supercharger once Model 3's proliferate) for a while. We can only hope that since their free Supercharging is fairly limited they won't appear at Superchargers in numbers proportional to the number of them on the road. If they do and if Tesla's unable to continue their recent rate of infrastructure expansion, it'll deal a serious blow to the popularity of this brand.

3. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Folks,remember what Elon just announced at the Delivery Event last Friday, they will have three times as many SCs around the world by the end of 2018. They certainly won't stop there... :)

In addition, Model 3, just like Model S/X owners shall need to be reminded to make full use of home-charging whenever feasible, free or not free SC access!

4. Ron Miller

Ron Miller New Member

Hi, Michael. I enjoy your posts here and on the Model 3 Owners Club because they're always so positive and upbeat.
    A note of caution, though: the last time I saw a list of the latest new Superchargers, possibly on supercharger.info, almost all of them were scattered around the world. The number in the US was a rather small fraction of the total. Also, Model 3 will be sold to a different demographic than the one that purchased Models S and X. These buyers will include, I believe, many more apartment and urban folks who find it difficult to charge at home. There are a few MS owners who charge exclusively away from home. There probably will be many more Model 3 Owners who are forced to do so. Factor in the sheer number of 3s, which will dwarf the number of Models S and X, and it's difficult not to be a little apprehensive.
    I just hope cash-flow problems don't slow Tesla's expansion plans, but even if expansion proceeds on schedule, I doubt that in the future we'll be able to pull into a Supercharger with the high expectation of an open slot that we enjoy now.
    Still, fingers crossed tightly :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Thank you, Ron, appreciate it. I think it is important to look at the bright side of life, without being naive about it!
    I agree with your point about folks who may not have the ability to charge @ home. Though, over time, I think there will also be an increasing number of destination charters, possibly in or around apartment complexes. This will be (almost ;)) automatically happen as the penetration of EV increases.

Keep it up, friendly Ohioan! :)

6. Smiesguy

Smiesguy New Member

Some notes from the last earnings call about this...

Colin Langan - UBS Securities LLC

Oh, great. Thanks for taking my question. How do you come up with your estimate for the number of Supercharges and sealers that you need because you're doubling the number of the base, the number of Supercharges going into the release? But these three is going to have multiple higher in terms of demand. So, I mean, how do you frame that and engage that?

Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla, Inc.

Yes. First of all, I will actually clarify that the numbers of charges will in fact triple between now and the end of next year. And we're confident that that will address the supercharging needs of S, X and 3. So we'll try to stay ahead of it. There are occasional places where – that are tricky to find a location, like Malibu's really difficult. There are a few places, but the – we're staying ahead of that. I think it's going to be good.

We should see some immediate relief even for S and X customers on some of the key supercharge locations whilst we – experimenting with our first sort of – I don't know what we call it – mega supercharging location, like really big supercharging location with a bunch of amenities. So we're going to unveil the first of those relatively soon. And I think we'll get a sense for just sort of how cool it can be to have a great place to – if you've been driving for three, four hours – stop, have great restrooms, great food, amenities, hang out and for half an hour and then be on your way.