Delivery Hell

Discussion in 'Model S' started by TomL, Oct 9, 2017.

1. TomL

TomL New Member

I purchased a model S mid September in order to receive the special finance deal. Luckily the car I wanted happened to be in production that week, and was shipped out several days later. During this time there has been little/no communication with the delivery folks until today. They called and said there is a flaw in the paint caused by the "wrap" and now the car needs to go to a paint/body shop which will delay the delivery an additional 2 weeks. So I have been paying for insurance for a car I haven't seen yet for almost a month-I'm inclined to cancel the whole deal...any thoughts? is this normal?

2. KathyA

KathyA New Member

I had a similar experience ordering a Lexus (new model + shipped from Japan = delays). Small sample size, so I can't say it's normal.

However, I didn't have to insure the car until I took delivery...

3. GMikeW

GMikeW New Member

My delivery was not smooth. The initial estimate was late August/September. Mid September I got an email that said the car is done and in Chicago (I live in Minneapolis, 6 hours away). 3 weeks later it finally came to Minneapolis. They're a little rough on the delivery details. Like Kathy said, I didn't have to buy insurance until delivery. That said, the car is awesome and I love it. So my advice is to hang in there.

Mike

4. hipresr

hipresr New Member

Your not alone i too had a delivery of a p100d that went extemely south back in August. Car showed up to be presented 6 weeks after purchase(1k new out of miami) with small spiders crawling all over it, rear pass door and trunk lid and front hood needed to be re-sprayed, Hard water spots all over it. $130k for that, no thanks. Backed out and was refunded all my money, even though that itself took another 5 weeks!

5. comanchepilot

comanchepilot New Member

a) if you're not financing you don't need to give them insurance info or DL - if they're going to do your registration, then sure, give them your policy number - you have 30 days after buying a new car to sign it up for coverage. If you're not financing - its none of their business.

b) seems like their delivery process is a nightmare and they'll end up being totally gridlocked when the Model 3 arrives. . . .

c) don't sign anything until you have a car and are satisfied with it -

d) ALWAYS be worried about data breaches - there is no reason for Tesla to have your drivers license on their server - none whatsoever.