Clarkson reviews Tesla Model X after 10-year hiatus from the Roadster

Discussion in 'Model X' started by simonalvarez0987, Feb 11, 2018.

1. simonalvarez0987

#1 simonalvarez0987, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2018
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jeremy Clarkson’s reviewed the Tesla Model X on The Grand Tour in the Season 2 Episode 10 was largely positive, with the veteran auto host lauding the SUV for its raw performance and features. During the car’s segment on the Amazon show, Clarkson pointed out several of the Model X’s innovations that he particularly liked, including its Summon feature, its Easter Eggs, and of course, its insane acceleration.

The segment began with Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May explaining why they have not reviewed a Tesla in a while, citing the lawsuit that ensued after Top Gear’s arguably scathing review of the original Roadster. According to the hosts, however, Tesla has grown so much over the years that it is now pretty much impossible to deny the company’s presence in the auto industry. Thus, in The Grand Tour’s SUV-focused episode, lead host Jeremy Clarkson decided to check out if the Model X is a vehicle that he could like.

[​IMG]

Jeremy Clarkson reviews the Tesla Model X on The Grand Tour

As it turned out, he largely did. In the opening scenes of the review, Clarkson immediately applauded SUV’s looks and generous trunk and frunk space. He was also particularly impressed by the car’s capabilities, including the electric SUV’s massive 17-inch central touchscreen and the vehicle’s Summon feature.

True to his statement late last year, Clarkson did enjoy a number of the Model X’s more unique features, such as its Mars map and James Bond Easter Eggs. The veteran auto show host also took a particular liking to the car’s Autopilot software, which, according to the former Top Gear host, enabled him to do other things while the car was driving.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Perhaps what really brought a smile to Jeremy Clarkson’s face, however, was the performance of the Model X. Pitting the electric SUV against an Audi R8 in what appeared to be a quarter-mile race, the host was downright giddy as he raced ahead of the V10-powered, 600 hp, mid-engine sports car. While the Audi R8 was gaining on the Model X during the final moments of the race, Clarkson was impressed by the electric SUV’s acceleration nonetheless.

[​IMG]

Summing up the car’s experience, Jeremy Clarkson was largely positive, stating that with the Model X, Tesla has created a vehicle that is unlike anything on the road.

Clarkson, however, did express some of his reservations about the electric car, such as the limitations of its range and the fact that its battery can catch fire. Overall, however, The Grand Tour host noted that if he has one huge complaint about the Model X, it would be its cost, which is simply far too much for a vehicle of its class.

Jeremy Clarkson and Tesla initially clashed ten years ago when the host, who was then working for BBC’s Top Gear, reviewed the original Tesla Roadster. During the segment, Top Gear alleged that the Roadster had run out of batteries and implied that it was an overall unreliable car. Clarkson, Hammond, and May were also largely skeptical with the electric car revolution, predicting that the trend would quickly die out.

If the latest episode of The Grand Tour is an indication, however, all Jeremy Clarkson needed was to get behind the wheel of Tesla’s big, hulking electric SUV to properly change his mind. 

Watch the segment on The Grand Tour Season 2.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Article: Clarkson reviews Tesla Model X after 10-year hiatus from the Roadster

• Like Like x 1
  2. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Yes, there were some positive comments... Apart from the understandable beef about cost at the end, after all this looked like a fully loaded X P100D..., I wasn't sure how to take the whole discussion with the 6 'lawyers'; probably intended to be funny yet we still had to endure the couple of rather archaic (and IMHO rather asinine) comments about range and batteries at risk of catching fire...

So, has he truly changed his mind...? Would he actually buy one... ? Wouldn't bet on it... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. teslababble

teslababble New Member

I believe every word he said from the start “getting sued isn’t fun, it keeps you awake at night...” I believed that he liked the car however it’s bittersweet for him, just because of that I wouldn’t. He probably chose a fully loaded for hyperbole as those Xs are an awful lot of money. Still shame he had such a crap experience.

• Like Like x 1
  4. handelan

handelan New Member

Yes the batteries. London transport have batteries in their hybrid buses and word has it that after 6 months they need replacing at 24k each which is not a viable thing. Levc has just unveiled its TX5E London taxi and very soon we will be able to verify whether the battery option of the green revolution endures the most challenging and hostile automotive environment London taxis have to live with.

• Like Like x 1
  5. simonalvarez0987

I think in a lot of ways, he really was forced into admitting that electric cars are the future. Richard Hammond already reviewed a Model S positively in the past, and James May has a BMW i3, so he was really the only one left. :D

6. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Could be yet he did not sell me on his genuine intentions in the end. The ‘I’m getting the lawyers stuck in the car on a tight parking space’ bit did not help... :rolleyes:

7. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Not sure what you mean.... For getting sued for sheer disingenuousness... or for having to ride with six (presumably) fake lawyers in a T≡SLA X to try to win everybody back on humor??

I used to really enjoy Clarkson and the old Top Gear crew. I don’t any longer... :rolleyes:

8. ewingsme

ewingsme New Member

After the roadster review i stopped watching Top Gear altogether as it made me realise what a geezer Jeremy is.
    The way he was kicked from BBC (assaulting staff) just confirmed my impression.
    I dont care if he \'likes\' the model x or what comes from his mouth and i advise anybody else to do the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. robinrhaney

robinrhaney New Member

I watched Jeremy right through the \"new\" Top Gear era (previously it was a serious car show, not a car entertainment show), and have read his reviews in the Sunday Times (which continue) for donkey\'s years. Much as I liked him, it is clear his time is past. His \"dinosaur\" persona is no longer an act, it has become a reality, and the electric propulsion asteroid is hitting, pretty much right now. Bye bye Jeremy.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. vdiv

vdiv Member

#10 vdiv, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Clarkson is not the buffoon he portraits himself to be. He is an entertainer playing to an audience. Since his audience's attitude to EVs is changing so is his take on them. The topic of this episode was how terrible midsized SUVs are yet they avoided that comparison completely with the Model X. He has reviewed other plugins throughout the years some rather favorably such as the SLS AMG ED, the i8, and the P1

11. lbmfredric

lbmfredric New Member

Yet notice he does NOT reveal the price of the V10-powered, 600 hp Audi R8 he used to highlight the Model X exceptional performance. That it might spoil his one HUGE issue that serious performance costs money. I\'m shocked, SHOCKED! His  bias is obvious...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Absolutely... and how much do the so called ‘hybrids’ referred to above by @vdiv ? An i8... SLS AMG, McLaren P1...? Apart from the fact that none of these (or the Audi R8) for that matter offer much in terms of practicality... they certainly don’t come cheap...

No, Clarkson is definitely too 20th century to me.... :rolleyes:

13. J.Taylor

J.Taylor Active Member

After blatantly lying about the original Tesla Roadster why is anyone even listening to Jeremy Clarkson?
    This turd deserves to be totally ignored, nothing he says about any car should be taken seriously.

• Agree Agree x 1