Cheap Parcel Shelf Auto-Lift

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Ben Forrest, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Ben Forrest

Ben Forrest New Member

#1 Ben Forrest, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Hey Teslarati!

I frequently load larger items in the trunk and want a parcel shelf auto-lift to make things easier. Found a few online and quickly realized I could make one with what I had lying around in the garage. Wanted something something discrete that I can add/remove in a couple seconds, and it turned out better than expected - sharing in hopes it helps someone else with the same 'want':

- 25" of 10-15lb test fishing line
    - Stapler
    - 3" velcro strip

- A fat knot holds the string in the gap between the plastic pieces on the inside of the rear windshield
    - Leave 19-20" between knot and velcro
    - Tie loop in other end of string and staple into velcro
    - Velcro sticks nicely to the underside of the shelf, hiding the knot and velcro from sight

I suspect you could use smaller line, but the knot might fall through the gap in the plastic panels... I use 15lb

Pics

2. EVFreak

EVFreak New Member

It is pretty annoying that they designed the trunk cover like this. I'm sure a lot of us have left the cover up and started driving, then asked the passenger to climb back there to flip it over only to find it hits the glass.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pete8314

pete8314 New Member

Home Page:
    That's a good solution. If anyone wants a ready-made solution, we've been selling the Auto-lift kit for a couple of years now, hand-made by a fellow Model S owner in Hawaii.