Charging with Tesla 30 amp dryer plug adapter

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Lektra, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Lektra

Lektra New Member

The Tesla 30 amp dryer plug adapter has 4-prongs.

Older dryer outlets only have 3-prongs. Is it ok to use a 3-prong to 4-prong 30 amp adapter if the outlet has only 3-prongs?

2. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    Tesla UMC have different adapters for each different kind of outlet that it supports natively. The charging head tells the UMC the type of outlet that it is plugging into and adapts the charge rate for the car.

As of the writing of this response, Tesla has provided five different heads. (https://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters) there have been more in the past and you might be able to find some of the previous UMC adapters on eBay and other places.

I would suggest to have an electrician replace the "older dryer outlet" with one that is currently supported by your Tesla. In a pinch, others have used adapter cables AND dialed down the Amperage on their vehicle manually, BUT, use this sparingly and you retain all risks for such an activity.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lektra

Lektra New Member

Thanks Dennis; this is helpful information.

I am planning a road trip through the west in my MX and may be in some remote locations with limited charging options. So I wanted to be prepared with a 'palette' of adapters.

4. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

Home Page:
    There are many early adopters that have a bag of these adapters and many are rarely used. We've driven from Southern California to Maine and back in our S in 2015 and barely used any charging outside of supercharging on that trip. We used the 120V household plug more often than J1772 for that trip.

Here is the link to my preparation for that trip - http://pascual.co/ActiveE/2015/05/preparing-for-a-cross-country-ev-trip/ and here is Day One of the trip, basically wrote the trip as a day-by-day journey (it's 23 days long. (http://pascual.co/ActiveE/2015/05/roadtripping-the-u-s-a-day-01/)). My wife and I actually were helping Beta-Test and provide the content for the original launch of the Teslarati App during that trip. (so there's the tie-in with this website. :cool: ) Since then a lot more people have participated and it's a handy help for your travels in your X, so download the Teslarati App on IOS or Android.

5. Aljohn

Aljohn New Member

There are UL Adapters with 3-prongs (220 and ground). These are common, and the adapters will convert to 14-50 outlet safely. The Level II Tesla Charger does not use Neutral since there is no need for 110VAC. So the needed 220 lines and ground are all that is required. The standard 14-50 outlet has 2-220 lines, ground and Neutral since many dryers and electric stoves also have 110VAC lights (thus they need the neutral line as well.