charging once you reach your destination

Discussion in 'Model S' started by B Mills, Jul 27, 2017.

1. B Mills

B Mills New Member

I am new to this, so bear with me. I have been looking for suggestions, not on how to plan a trip, but how and where to charge my S once I reach my destination. Every trip I seem to end up not near a superchager and plugging into a 110 outlet at the house, hotel, etc. doesn't do much. I need some ideas for my upcoming trip to Manhattan, KS. I will be in between superchangers at Topeka and Salina. I appreciate any and all ideas. Thanks.

2. ggendel

ggendel New Member

There are some sites that will help you plan like https://www.evtripplanner.com What makes these nice is that it will allow you to plan for round trips which the navigation on the vehicle won't (yet). They will suggest where to stop along the route to charge including superchargers and destination chargers. Keep in mind that some will be free (for example at hotels that you stay in), or require payment. Some require you to be registered users (like SemaConnect chargers). Good luck.

3. gene

gene Moderator

A shameless plug here but you could also see a list of Tesla destination charging locations through our Teslarati app.

4. B Mills

B Mills New Member

Unfortunately there are very few destination chargers in Kansas and none near Manhattan. Thanks.

5. Teslaliving

Teslaliving Moderator

Home Page:
    I just went through this myself. The Supercharger network was finally completed enough for me to get to family in the outskirts of Pitsburgh, PA. They live Northeast of Pittsburgh and there are almost zero chargers of any sort out there. A regular wall plug is VERY slow (3 mi/hour added). In our case, we were staying at a local hotel as a lot of family were in town so even the wall plug wasn't an option.

I used Plugshare and found a CHAdeMO 10 minutes from the hotel. The only other option was a Supercharger 30 minutes from the hotel but thats an hour of driving (and used charge) each time to "fill up". I splurged and got the CHAdeMO. That worked and did the trick but I learned some things the hard way:

1) CHAdeMO (this one anyway) had a per session charge and per minute charge.
    2) It also limited each session to 30 minutes
    3) A full charge took 3 sessions and cost me about $50 or about what a normal ICE car would cost to fill up
    4) While CHAdeMO can be pretty fast, they are not all at max Volts/Amps. This one was limited to 99A so it was much slower than a Supercharger and took an hour to charge up my Model S.
    5) There was only 1 stall. Fortunately not many EV owners out there but that could have been ugly (I got to the CHAdeMO the first day with 8 miles range left).

The planning worked and the 1,800 mile trip was successful. I used a mix of http://evtripping.com for the supercharger network routing and stops and then plugshare for the local destination plug search.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ferrariex

Ferrariex New Member

If you have the ability to "scout " your destination or have some reasonably competent person there, remember there are a number of ways to charge from various 220 v sources. The NEMA 1450 plug is common in RV parks and adapters are available for welding connectors, etc. You may have to use some ingenuity but there are many places to plug. In that are not classic electric charging stations. Scout your destination with these in mind as well as looking for the odd Nissan dealer with aLeaf charger you already have an adapter for.

7. MBROCKS

MBROCKS New Member

To help with route planning I have added these apps to my smart phone Plugshare and Chargepoint. great resources to find a place to hook up. I grew up north of The Burgh in Clarion and next year once a few more superchargers come on line I am thinking about making the drive from WA. Should be an interesting adventure. But like other posters have mentioned don't limit yourself to charging stations. Campgrounds that have 14-50 plugs are a descent source in a pinch.

• Like Like x 1