Buying a pre-owned Tesla via CPO vs Dealer vs Private

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Mark T., Apr 16, 2018.

1. Mark T.

Mark T. New Member

Looking to jump into the world of Tesla and I’m just curious what you all think of buying a pre-owned at Tesla vs a non Tesla dealer vs private sale. Obviously there are scams everywhere so I will always need to guard against those. However, considering the CPO program went from refurbishing to inspecting, is there any advantage to buying from Tesla? If a reputable dealer has one is there anything to be weary of? Private sales are always available as well. Thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

@Mark T. , welcome to the forum.
    As someone who just bought a 3 year old S85 from a private individual, I’d offer the following considerations:
    - Evidently a detailed car inspection is the first thing on the checklist
    - Does the car come with special warranty, from T≡SLA or other? How many years left?
    - A detail of the history of the car with documents on services, any kind of T≡SLA intervention, accident repairs if any, would be useful too.
    - If sold by private person, how credible does the person look? What’s the story on why car is sold?

Those are the main things. Obviously does the car appeal to you and is the price right are evident first level criteria!!

Hope this helps.

Good luck, Mike

3. Blue Cyber

Blue Cyber New Member

I bought my 2014 85S in 2015 from a dealer in Dallas Texas on Ebay. The car had a warranty from Tesla so the few things that were wrong were quickly repaired by Tesla. Tesla services my car like I bought it factory direct. I have no complaints.

• Informative Informative x 1