Black Tesla Model 3 release candidate spotted driving in Silicon Valley [Full Gallery]

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by teslarati, Apr 4, 2017.

1. teslarati

teslarati Administrator

#1 teslarati, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A black Tesla Model 3 release candidate version has been spotted near the company’s Silicon Valley-based headquarters in Palo Alto, California. The sighting follows a recent teaser video released by Tesla CEO Elon Musk showing a black release candidate Model 3 driving down a local street.

Teslarati reader, Wayne, spotted the Model 3 driving in the opposite direction before making a U-turn and giving chase to the electric sedan. The Model 3 was followed by two cars, one of which was a BMW, says Wayne. “They were driving pretty fast past me. I pulled a u turn and followed. They switched drivers.”

Wayne was able to capture several great shots of the Model 3 in camera burst mode as it sped away.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

At first glance, the black Model 3 appears to be the same version shown in the grainy video that Musk teased last month. Evident in the photos are Tesla’s full suite of “hardware 2” sensors that allows the car to have full self-driving capabilities in the future. A side camera can be seen on the Tesla badge located on each front fender as well as on the B-pillar of the vehicle.

SPOTTED: A Model S with LiDAR sensors and manufacturer plates was spotted the same day

However, what’s most striking from the photos is the addition of two new sensors that are rear-quarter facing and presumably new Autopilot 2.o cameras. If true, this would bring the total number of Autopilot 2.0 cameras from 8 to 10.

[​IMG][​IMG]

We also get a closer look at what the final Model 3 nose will look like. Tesla received criticism over the front end design of the Model 3 when the prototype was first revealed to the public last year, which prompted CEO Elon Musk to tweet, “716729841362407424[/MEDIA]]some tweaking underway“.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tesla’s Gigafactory in Sparks, Nevada will begin production on Model 3 ‘2170’ battery cells this quarter. The company expects initial production of Model 3 to begin in July, before ramping up to volume production of 5,000 vehicles per week in the fourth quarter and 10,000 vehicles per week in 2018.

Photos courtesy of Wayne

Article: Black Tesla Model 3 release candidate spotted driving in Silicon Valley [Full Gallery]

2. janla

janla New Member

The head "designer" is a total idiot...... so many mistakes does almost no-one nowadays in car industry. Totally destroying the only usable EV car in the world, FIRE THAT IDIOT!!!!

3. Snowcat

Snowcat New Member

Thank you Wayne!!
    Must have been a thrill!

The trunk has also changed, the seperation between trunk and body is now different, it appears that a larger part of the lights is included in the trunk lid making the opening width larger at the top of the trunk.
    Also the landscape floating display does not appear to have changed (or at least the top part doesn't).
    And the steering wheel is still a wheel.

4. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

#4 Mergoscia, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    @janla,
    Clearly you're not a fan of the design, but can you explain and propose alternatives? Thank you.

DaveBG likes this.
  5. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

@all What do you think of the front? Is this nice or should Tesla change it into the design of the S and the X, so we all can see there has been S.E.X. and the outcome is a new born 3?

6. janla

janla New Member

1) front copied Porsche
    2) back copied VW, Audi
    3) imbecile trunk opening almost not any car has today
    4) incredible imbecile handles
    5) incredibly imbecile front ship like nose

I havent seen so many childish mistakes on a car

The head "designer" is a thief and an incompetent idiot.

7. Snowcat

Snowcat New Member

I'm a fan!

8. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

Aesthetic. Still can you propose alternatives?
    Is it because it has a more European look than the models S and X?
    Technical. Can you propose a different solution without changing too much the aesthetics. Trunk opening was designed this way to get easier access and create more room in the trunk without loosing headroom for the passengers in the backseats.

DaveBG likes this.
  9. janla

janla New Member

Every under average car designer with 1 year experience can propose a solution ;)
    Or your brain does not allow us to say "this picture is not nice" despite we are not painters? :)
    75 % of votes seeks to change the imbecile nose acc to a poll!!!

10. DaveBG

DaveBG New Member

I like this design. Its going to be much better in person I think. Do not start your engine early.

11. JRDM

JRDM New Member

Why is the look suddenly a problem? Isn't this the same shell they showed off at the Model 3 kickoff event? And it's really a shrunk-down Model S (2nd gen) body and I didn't see that degree of kayaying with that.

Michael Russo likes this.
  12. Mergoscia

Mergoscia Member

#12 Mergoscia, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    @JRDM
    For most people it is not a problem. There is only a discussion going on if model 3 should have a same nose as the present S and X.
    But,.... I have to say...When I saw the video with the silver color a few weeks ago, I had my doubts as well. Cause in that video the car looked like a cheap Opel.

Looking now at the black model 3 rear end in the picture of yesterday, I wonder where the aluminium strip / chrome strip with the name Tesla will be placed??? Just above the numberplate?
    A (very) slim strip with the name in small capitals would look stylish I think................................................or the name just pressed in the rear end and colored in the same color of the car. But is this a possibility for the aluminiumpress?

13. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Folks. A word of caution... or two... ;)

As @JRDM said above, this total rejection is a bit odd as what we saw on the streets of Palo Alto is largely (if not totally - the jury still seems to be out depending on whose eyes look & compare...) in line with the design of the car first revealed a year ago... At the time, for the most part, it drew praises & generated (presumably) close to half a million reservations within 3-4 months...!
    As for further redesign at this point, of the nose or other parts of the car, it is highly unlikely not say out of the question... since these are release candidates on final production equipment... We're waaaay last 'pencils down' at this juncture!

So... two possibilities for you:
    - either you don't like what you see, a little or a lot, and nobody forces you to actually buy the car...
    - you remain enthusiastic, obviously still eager to see the car in person and look forward to morph your reservation into a firm order...

I am resolutely in the second camp... and thank all of those in the first in advance for moving me up the line... :D:D