93% of Tesla Model 3 buyers will likely upgrade from $35k base, suggests new poll data

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Teslarati Bot, Mar 3, 2017.

1. ngtech

ngtech Member

Yea, I guess there could be a few employees and current owners that could get them before the end of the year, but I know someone that put in his deposit early morning on the 31st and I think Feb was the earliest for him to get a standard version.

2. J.Taylor

J.Taylor Active Member

I beg to differ. Elon does not need to make a profit on 35k cars. Not this year, not next year. There was no profit made on the first year's production of the roadster and that never stopped people investing.

Sure it would help if the 35k car at least broke even on production costs, but investors know that as production increases to scale and battery costs come down the profit margins will increase because production costs go down. Each year the cost of batteries improves by about 5% and this will become a corporate savings.

Investors know Tesla will eventually be VERY profitable.

3. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Agree, John. Only build I'd make is if they expect a variable margin (which is not profit, I know... ;)) of ~25% on the expected avg. selling price of $42-43k, there is not much left at $35k.

Which again is not a showstopper for the reasons you mentioned and as there probably will only be a minority of orders @ 35k without any option.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ellimb

Ellimb New Member

I would be very happy if HUD is added as an option. KIA new models have this feature !

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  5. ngtech

ngtech Member

LoL. Funny to look back at people's predictions only 4.5 months later

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Maybe I meant 4Q18?! :D

7. MATHEW JACOB

MATHEW JACOB New Member

8. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

9. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Member

10. Michael Russo

Michael Russo Moderator

Thanks, Johnny, have already posted on the Model3OwnersClub forum and got a few positive responses already. Good idea to also advise @Ben Sullins; as he’s a member here, he may have seen it. Otherwise, this will help! Note he just picked up his Model 3 so he may be on cloud 9 for a while... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. J.Taylor

J.Taylor Active Member

12. David Nye

David Nye New Member

I’m inclined to agree with that, just my opinion.

The VAST overwhelming majority of us will be charging our cars at home 99% of the time, hopefully either from our own solar, or failing that, preferably “off peak” power in the “wee hours” of the morning.
    (The most irresponsible thing you can do from an environmental perspective is get home in the evening and immediately start charging your car when the grid is struggling with the evening peak.)

Then if we do the odd road trip, we want to be able to use a Supercharger to get from A to B, and as long as the cost per kWh is reasonable, I’m more than happy to pay for that. It will still be way cheaper than buying petrol, and we want the facilities to be available, (and we want plenty of them) so basically they need to pay their way. (In our typical vehicle use patterns, I suspect we’d be lucky to use a Supercharger maybe a maximum of six or eight times a year, unless we do a massive cross country trip.)
    Q. Why should someone who does roadtrips all the time and who just happpens to live near a Supercharger, get charged for free either all, or even some of the time.
    At the very least, there should be a very strict kWh limit, but I’d definitely be happier to have more Superchargers, and pay a fair and reasonable fee for using them.....

Of course someone who wants to use them every day will disagree. :)

However what ICE cars, at any price, come with free petrol (or diesel)?
    ie: We NEED a good charging infrastructure, so should expect to pay a fair price for using it.

Cya

• Like Like x 2